crack in siding of 2013 heartland cyclone

chief916

While on a trip out to the west coast last week I noticed that I had a 5 in crack extending from the aft lower corner of my bed slide siding and was already about halfway into one of my decals,  I ran a 3/16 drillbit into the bottom of the crack to try to stop the migration of the crack.  I want to go into the crack and smooth it out and fill it in.  I have no idea as to what I can use to fill the crack.  Is there a product out there that can be relied apon to fill the crack and the small stop hole.  Maybe some kind of bonding substance.

thanks

Ben

5 hours ago, DesertMiner said:

Check your frame in that area for possible cracking or other damage. 

Exactly! our last 5er had such a crack, I took our 5er back to the Dutchmen factory service dept. for evaluation. The  first thing I was told was, there is a structural frame failure that caused the crack at the top right slide corner. They removed the exterior siding and discovered a broken weld at a corner gusset. My insurance covered the repairs.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

8 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Exactly! our last 5er had such a crack, I took our 5er back to the Dutchmen factory service dept. for evaluation. The  first thing I was told was, there is a structural frame failure that caused the crack at the top right slide corner. They removed the exterior siding and discovered a broken weld at a corner gusset. My insurance covered the repairs.

We had almost the same thing with our previous Open Road by Pilgrim the shop fixed and added some gussets to strengthen it but then they made a patch to repair the crack in the corner, guess what the patch cracked, they went back in deeper around the pin and found cracks around the pin box, repaired then traded in.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

On 11/2/2019 at 5:48 AM, dblr said:

We had almost the same thing with our previous Open Road by Pilgrim the shop fixed and added some gussets to strengthen it but then they made a patch to repair the crack in the corner, guess what the patch cracked, they went back in deeper around the pin and found cracks around the pin box, repaired then traded in.

This is a 2013 TH.  I'm wondering if they will let my insurance pay or will I be stuck with the bill.  First things first.  Got to gain access to under the bed and see if I can detect any further damage.  Then take it from there.

3 hours ago, chief916 said:

This is a 2013 TH.  I'm wondering if they will let my insurance pay or will I be stuck with the bill.  First things first.  Got to gain access to under the bed and see if I can detect any further damage.  Then take it from there.

I never tried to go thru my insurance and it's been so long I even forget how much I paid, I only paid for the first job because I argued they didn't fix it right the first time, now the shop is out of business so maybe they were not that good to begin with. Good luck on your repair and keep us posted, hope it all works out the best for you.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

17 hours ago, dblr said:

I never tried to go thru my insurance and it's been so long I even forget how much I paid, I only paid for the first job because I argued they didn't fix it right the first time, now the shop is out of business so maybe they were not that good to begin with. Good luck on your repair and keep us posted, hope it all works out the best for you.

Will do and thank you.

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Brenda&Bill said:

Hi chief916 We were at the 2019 Heartland North American Rally in Goshen, IN in June.

One of the things I herd a couple of times, was the same issue you have. A frame issue.

Check with Heartland They have been fixing some rigs at their expense.

They are aware of the issue.

Bill

Will do Bill and thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Well just an update on this frame issue.  Contacted Jeff who works the heartland toy hauler problems and he asked for a bunch pix of the suspension and undercarriage.  He also asked for pin dimensions to each left and right frame rails.

I sent all of this to him this past week.  I made contact with him to confirm that he got it and has sent it forward...whatever that means.  SO!!!  The ball is in their court.  Jeff did tell me it could be water intrusion....hmmm.  I don't think so but it remains to be seen.  I told him about what was being mentioned at the Goshen rally but we didn't elaborate on the subject.

Christmas is 5 days away so I don't expect to hear anything back from them until after the New year.  So to everyone.. Merry Christmas and a Happy New year.

Ben "Chief 916"