Class of 2020

skeet

Hello Skeet and all contributors.  We will be going full time in 2020. We sold our SoCal house in July (in 3 weeks!) and moved to our NorCal house. This month, we purchased a 5 ver and truck (we call it "Truck-zilla") and will be filling it shortly. We have spent the last year culling down our possessions and plan to donate remaining furnishings to the Paradise fire victims. Then the house goes on the MLS early 2020 and we dive headfirst into full timing! We can't keep the 5 ver on our property and short term storage was a challenge but we sorted it out; mostly by luck as most storage facilities in this area are wait listed.  We've joined FMC, Escapees and Passport America and we're researching whether Thousand Trails is a viable option  (so many plans; very confusing). We welcome any and all advice!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Skeet like the others have said, thanks for starting the class of 2020. We too were planning on being in the class of 2019, but a couple of remodeling projects on the house to get it ready to sell turned into a major renovation of the entire house - long story, haha.

Anyway, we hope to have the house on the market by end of March and be on the road late in the year. I promised my employer I would stay till the end of Sept. He wants me to stay another 2-3 years, (good feeling), but we are ready to get on the road!

10 hours ago, CasperBob said:

Hey Skeet like the others have said, thanks for starting the class of 2020. We too were planning on being in the class of 2019, but a couple of remodeling projects on the house to get it ready to sell turned into a major renovation of the entire house - long story, haha.

Anyway, we hope to have the house on the market by end of March and be on the road late in the year. I promised my employer I would stay till the end of Sept. He wants me to stay another 2-3 years, (good feeling), but we are ready to get on the road!

CasperBob.....Welcome ...it sounds like you're rarin' to get on the road. I have some minor touch ups to go on the house(been doing major projects since April). And..once winter is over... hope to put house on the market by middle of March.

Keep in touch...and keep us updated on your progress.

1 hour ago, Danandfreda said:

Hi all we are closing on our house second week of February so we will be full timers on February 14 and heading to Tennessee for a month in April. Going to order our hdt in February and domicile in South Dakota. 

Danandfreda

Congrats on the house closing. We've been looking at class a's...and sometime in 2020(when the house sells) we'll become residents of SD too! I bet you're getting excited!

We’ve had snow and temps in the teens last few days so ya if I don’t see 18 degrees anytime soon I won’t be disappointed. Joined escapees this week so we can get our sd address going in January going to make a trip up there after the hdt is don’t to get dl and registrations for the truck and smart car and fifth wheel. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for starting this group. Seems that I will be one of the early ones in the Class of 2020. I bought a 30 foot school bus and am converting it for full-time living. I have two months here in CA to get it done then off to Livingston to learn from the experts. I figure when you don't know what you are doing, go sit next to folks who do.

Let me introduce myself. First the normal stuff: I am 68 years old, born in Boston, moved to the San Francisco area in 1973 and never left. In 2011 I did a 5 month cross country trip in a partially converted school bus that had a bed and chair but no electricity, plumbing or tables. And I loved it! Rising costs in the San Francisco area pushed me out. When I explored my options, going back to a school bus is my favorite.

Now for the unusual stuff: I use a wheelchair, will be living alone and don't drive. Finding drivers will either be lots of fun or a total nightmare. I had a horrible experience with a 'professional' transport company to get the bus from Colorado to San Francisco (the driver/owner actually took my bus to his house for a week - twice!). So I am feeling very nervous about the driving situation.

At the same time I am totally excited about going full-time. A big part of my goal is to do more writing and quilting. I like being in nature and being creative. One of the things I loved most during my 2011 bus trip was finding beautiful places.

As for my 2020 schedule I am anticipating that not having a live-in driver will mean staying in places longer (like for the winter) and finding a driver/companion for a summer trip to the east coast. I also signed up for the SKP Balloon Fiesta  Hop in Albuquerque in October.

I'm looking forward to getting to know my 2020 classmates and sharing our tales.

Katherine

Edited by Corbett

Welcome to the Escapee forums! I'm not sure how you have managed driverans in the past but I assume that you paid them. I would suggest that you try and find someone to partner with who can drive in return for you providing the RV. There are plenty of women around who are capable of driving your bus, if you prefer same sex travel partner. In fact, it hasn't been that long since there was a post by a lady who we looking for a companion with an RV. It seems to me that it would be much more cost efficient as well as removing the need to constantly find drivers for every move. There is also a SOLOs group within the Escapee RV Club where you may be able to find some help with this problem. If you are able to get there, the next annual gathering of Escapees, called Escapade, will be held in Rock Springs, WY next June. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are spending our first night in the rv, we are out of our house. Don’t close until the 13th but spent the day setting up and finding places to put things in the rv. It’s filling up fast but I’m sure we brought things that we won’t keep. Still have to work till April 1st but if the time goes by like the last couple months it will be here in no time. 

Hey everyone, just a quick update on our progress. The renovation project on our house is coming along well. Finished up the second bathroom. Haven't had many weekends to work through the holidays and Jan.

Between dinner with each of the kids & spouses, my daughter just having twin girls about 10 days ago - all are doing fine, one of the babies will go home from the hospital today or tomorrow and the other later this week - and oldest granddaughter's hi school basketball games, we just haven't put many hours in on the house. Only have a bit left to go on the kitchen and some baseboard throughout the upstairs and the inside will be done!

Still have a bit to finish up on the exterior paint - weather put a stop to that last fall - and a bit of landscaping and all the outside projects will be done. Still on target for listing the house sometime in March. Sounds like the residential housing market is starting to pick up a bit here in Casper from what two different realtors have told us in the past week.

Fingers crossed...

5 hours ago, CasperBob said:

Hey everyone, just a quick update on our progress. The renovation project on our house is coming along well. Finished up the second bathroom. Haven't had many weekends to work through the holidays and Jan.

Between dinner with each of the kids & spouses, my daughter just having twin girls about 10 days ago - all are doing fine, one of the babies will go home from the hospital today or tomorrow and the other later this week - and oldest granddaughter's hi school basketball games, we just haven't put many hours in on the house. Only have a bit left to go on the kitchen and some baseboard throughout the upstairs and the inside will be done!

Still have a bit to finish up on the exterior paint - weather put a stop to that last fall - and a bit of landscaping and all the outside projects will be done. Still on target for listing the house sometime in March. Sounds like the residential housing market is starting to pick up a bit here in Casper from what two different realtors have told us in the past week.

Fingers crossed...

Bob...your progress sounds like mine. A couple more weeks of work inside and maybe 2 weeks weeding, pruning and sprucing up the property to make it look pretty. Still shooting for no later than April 1st to list it. Hang in there..

Skeet

Skeet, sounds like you are about to wrap things up also. My wife and i are so ready to hit the road.

We have some friends from here in WY that went full time last April. They have been spending the winter in the Quartzsite area and he keeps sending me pics of his thermometer at 70 or 80 degrees, lol. I told him I'd be in AZ next winter. Wish we were there now. I'm really missing the desert today - been snowing since mid-night with 40 mph winds. All the roads are closed...nobody going to leave Casper today.

Hi Class of 2020! My husband and I will be joining the class June 1, 2020! Sold our home a year ago and have spent the last year downsizing our belongings and researching life on the road. He is taking his job remotely and I will be doing youtube and photography (I think). We bought a 39' fifth wheel and just purchased a Ram One ton dually diesel. We are getting so excited! So much to do, but can't wait to take this life changing journey! We just joined Escapees/Xscapers and look forward to meeting new friends on the road!

9 hours ago, Good Life Highway said:

Hi Class of 2020! My husband and I will be joining the class June 1, 2020! Sold our home a year ago and have spent the last year downsizing our belongings and researching life on the road. He is taking his job remotely and I will be doing youtube and photography (I think). We bought a 39' fifth wheel and just purchased a Ram One ton dually diesel. We are getting so excited! So much to do, but can't wait to take this life changing journey! We just joined Escapees/Xscapers and look forward to meeting new friends on the road!

Welcome Good Life Highway! Sounds like you wish you could go full time tomorrow.  At least you've got the house sold...the downsizing of the belongings can be eye opening. We keep wondering how can 2 people can acquire so much..and then sell it for so little(or donate it). I was ready to go full time 10 years ago.... but my wife has been ready for about 2 years...and now....she's even more excited than I am. We too want to "get on the road" and hope this time next year we're in Arizona. Please keep in touch and let us now how you are progressing on your June 1st goal.

Skeet

Edited by skeet

On 2/3/2020 at 2:23 PM, CasperBob said:

Skeet, sounds like you are about to wrap things up also. My wife and i are so ready to hit the road.

We have some friends from here in WY that went full time last April. They have been spending the winter in the Quartzsite area and he keeps sending me pics of his thermometer at 70 or 80 degrees, lol. I told him I'd be in AZ next winter. Wish we were there now. I'm really missing the desert today - been snowing since mid-night with 40 mph winds. All the roads are closed...nobody going to leave Casper today.

Bob... this morning my wife and I were just saying to each other .....that we would be happy to be in Quartzite this time next year. We want to spend some time near Saguaro cactuses(or is it cacti ?).....and experience those beautiful desert sunsets. Sounds good to me.....

Skeet

16 hours ago, skeet said:

Welcome Good Life Highway! Sounds like you wish you could go full time tomorrow.  At least you've got the house sold...the downsizing of the belongings can be eye opening. We keep wondering how can 2 people can acquire so much..and then sell it for so little(or donate it). I was ready to go full time 10 years ago.... but my wife has been ready for about 2 years...and now....she's even more excited than I am. We too want to "get on the road" and hope this time next year we're in Arizona. Please keep in touch and let us now how you are progressing on your June 1st goal.

Skeet

I know! it is shocking how much stuff we have released! It is freeing! It has taken the better part of two years to get the downsizing done.(and I'm not quite there yet!) Thanks for the encouragement and good luck to you too! 

Kris and Ryan (aka Good Life Highway)

39 minutes ago, Good Life Highway said:

I know! it is shocking how much stuff we have released! It is freeing! It has taken the better part of two years to get the downsizing done.(and I'm not quite there yet!) Thanks for the encouragement and good luck to you too! 

Kris and Ryan (aka Good Life Highway)

Oh how we can relate to that. I've been in my house for almost 18 years, with me being a care giver to my then aging mother for 11 of those years. After my mom passed several years ago, I remarried. Not only did my wife and I have our stuff to get rid of, we also had a lot of stuff of my mom's.

I think you guys have the big hurdle behind you with your house being sold. Good luck on the rest of your downsizing. It gets easier as you get closer to the goal is what my wife and I have found.

Like Skeet, we hope to be in AZ next winter. We'll spend some time around Q, but will also need to spend a bit of time in the Phoenix area since we both have family there. I'm ready for my Sonoran Desert fix, haha. Maybe we, the class of 2020, should have a meet up.

47 minutes ago, CasperBob said:

Oh how we can relate to that. I've been in my house for almost 18 years, with me being a care giver to my then aging mother for 11 of those years. After my mom passed several years ago, I remarried. Not only did my wife and I have our stuff to get rid of, we also had a lot of stuff of my mom's.

I think you guys have the big hurdle behind you with your house being sold. Good luck on the rest of your downsizing. It gets easier as you get closer to the goal is what my wife and I have found.

Like Skeet, we hope to be in AZ next winter. We'll spend some time around Q, but will also need to spend a bit of time in the Phoenix area since we both have family there. I'm ready for my Sonoran Desert fix, haha. Maybe we, the class of 2020, should have a meet up.

Thank you for your thoughts! We will be heading to Texas around Dec. of this year and then probably making our way to Arizona after that also and ultimately San Diego where our son is stationed. We LOVE Sedona and Phoenix and Scottsdale. Would love to connect with the 2020'ers! Please stay in touch!

• 2 weeks later...

Well the original plan was for us was to be the class of 2021. However, I was offered a voluntary early retirement package and will be retired in April.  wow so much to do my head is spinning.

We will domicile in Florida since the insurance options in TX for someone 59 appear to suck. 

So we are now in the class of 2020 full timers.

2020 Platinum F350 6.7L CC DRW, 2021 Riverstone Legacy 37mre 5th wheel

Welcome! I certainly would have jumped on something like that. We've unfortunately went the other direction, moving from 18 to 19, and finally now to 2020. As someone once said, right in the middle of all my plans life happened.

Good luck on all the work you have ahead to get on the road.

I was hoping for an early out at the power plant I work at going to shut 3 turbines down out of 4. Two of them this year so I was hoping they would offer us something to leave to save younger guys their jobs by not yet. I’m working till April 2 and using vacation and personal days the rest of April till may 2 maybe they’ll offer something but not getting my hopes up. Anything will be extra. We’re ready to hit the road and maybe meet some other 2030ers 

6 hours ago, Danandfreda said:

I was hoping for an early out at the power plant I work at going to shut 3 turbines down out of 4. Two of them this year so I was hoping they would offer us something to leave to save younger guys their jobs by not yet. I’m working till April 2 and using vacation and personal days the rest of April till may 2 maybe they’ll offer something but not getting my hopes up. Anything will be extra. We’re ready to hit the road and maybe meet some other 2030ers 

Best of luck! Hope you can get on the road soon!