Class of 2020

skeet

Well I won't be traveling much until next spring, but I took the plunge about a week ago and now have a 1985 Prevost Liberty coach that I am living on full time.  We are about to put the house on the market and am looking forward to not having all the maintenance.  10 acres with horses and dogs.  I still have to go every day to feed and mow.  But I am living on the bus!!!  I love it.  Several years ago I lived for 2.5 years on a 60' houseboat, year round.  I really loved that, too.

I did decide to domicile in South Dakota.  I got my driver's license in Sioux Falls a couple of weeks ago.  They were so helpful.  They fully understand the concept of full time RVing.  The whole thing took 17 minutes.  I then went to pick up the bus in SE Iowa.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just checking in. After leaving Iowa we arrived at a COE park in Missouri, Long Shoal. Its on the Harry S. Truman reservoir in Warsaw. Nice COE park with a spot right on the water. We have stayed in 3 COE parks and all have been excellent!  The last one was Left Tailrace CG in South Dakota, right on an island in the Missouri river. Super place to stay. Now we are in the Black hills after staying in the Badlands for 3 days. We are here for awhile because there is a lot to see and do. Mount Rushmore, Custer State park, Wind Cave National Park, Hill City, Deadwood. So much. Then its off to Devils Tower and then...not sure yet? Maybe  The Grand Tetons and Yellowstone or head north to Montana and Glacier? Having fun and enjoying this beautiful country we live in. :)

2019 Thor ARIA 3901: 2019 Jeep Wrangler:

Hey I hear ya! We are moving a little too fast for sure. But I’m sure we will slo down. Right now in Casper Wyoming for a few days. Saw the fireworks tonight right from the campground. Had a fun time at Devils Tower and did some hiking. We will leave here on the 6th and head to Grand Teton NP. 

45 minutes ago, CasperBob said:

Hey Grizz, we live in Casper, well till the house is sold. Watched the fireworks from our front yard. Dogs are going crazy haha.

Now that is funny! We watched from the KOA in Bar Nunn. Was a nice display. Great view and our little dog was fine, only because they were not that loud from where we are. If we were back in Jersey...he would be going bonkers!

4 hours ago, Grizz1 said:

Just checkin’ in. :) Having a great time in Grand Teton NP! Staying at Gros Ventre CG and it is very nice! 

Gros Ventre is our favorite campground for the Tetons.  Don't have to deal with reservations and we've always gotten a site.  Convenient for grocery shopping and fuel in Jackson.... nice views of the Tetons ... and love the critters coming through!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We stayed at Shadow Mountain there last year and are in WY now at Ft Bridger and headed that way again.

We just left after four days at Flaming Gorge east side (on the UT side) boondocking and it was a fantastic spot to stay. Right on the water and the nearest other RV was maybe 300-400 feet away. We scouted out other spots to stay at for next year there.

Flaming Gorge is a camper's dream, there must be 20 or 30 FS campgrounds and maybe 50 roads marked for dispersed camping. Weather in the 80's in the day and cool in the 50's at night. About 6000 feet.

Our next stop is boondocking on the Green River north of Pinedale WY, then either the Tetons or maybe Idaho/Sawtooths

2 hours ago, agesilaus said:

We stayed at Shadow Mountain there last year and are in WY now at Ft Bridger and headed that way again.

We just left after four days at Flaming Gorge east side (on the UT side) boondocking and it was a fantastic spot to stay. Right on the water and the nearest other RV was maybe 300-400 feet away. We scouted out other spots to stay at for next year there.

Flaming Gorge is a camper's dream, there must be 20 or 30 FS campgrounds and maybe 50 roads marked for dispersed camping. Weather in the 80's in the day and cool in the 50's at night. About 6000 feet.

Our next stop is boondocking on the Green River north of Pinedale WY, then either the Tetons or maybe Idaho/Sawtooths

All good places.  How's the RV traffic at places?

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

On 7/9/2020 at 12:02 PM, 2gypsies said:

Gros Ventre is our favorite campground for the Tetons.  Don't have to deal with reservations and we've always gotten a site.  Convenient for grocery shopping and fuel in Jackson.... nice views of the Tetons ... and love the critters coming through!

It was great! Could have spent 2 weeks there...we will be back. Now in Yellowstone. Have to get out early here to beat the crowds. But I am an early riser so all is well! :)

At Flaming Gorge--Jug Hollow there must have been 40 to 50 RVs in the area. But the area is so large that our nearest neighbor was so far away we could just see his roof. However there was one section around a cove without a drop off to the water that probably had 15 RVs packed into a small area. Not our idea of boondocking but maybe they were family/group camping. The whole area at Jug Hollow might be 2 or 3 square miles.

We did explore a few more areas and found some very isolated spots in water level coves. Maybe next year.

We haven't done the Green River area yet tho we tried to drive over Union pass a few years ago. Snow blocked and we actually pulled some guys p/u out of the snowbank blocking the road. The dispersed camping area again looks to be very large so I do not expect a problem. That is closer to Hwy 189 but I suppose if you really want to get away you could go up toward Union pass there are many meadows up there, might be soggy tho.

Shadow Mountain of course is crowded, we got the last open spot over the Fourth weekend last year. I think there are only 15 marked sites. But reportedly there are more higher up the mountain but I had no desire to pull my TT up that steep and very rutted track. There are at least two other boondocking areas in the Tetons, one further north off the highway. Something ranch, I don't recall the name.  And Grassey Lake road in between YNP and TNP.

4 hours ago, agesilaus said:

there was one section around a cove without a drop off to the water that probably had 15 RVs packed into a small area. Not our idea of boondocking but maybe they were family/group camping.

We used to do that. Dave's parents, their four kids, three spouses, and seven grandkids. Technically only five families but the kids often had separate tents so it looked, and felt, like more.

When we were still RVing we camped at a state park near home one weekend and invited extended family for a weiner roast. Nine of us for the evening. The camp host came by to be sure we weren't all staying the night in our Winnebago View. :) 

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 2 weeks later...

Just about to join the club... finally settling on a rig after years of considering it... Amazingly enough I'm having more trouble nailing down a truck since I decided to go fifth wheel. I always planned to go with a Class A, but I think I'm going to give this a go for the comfort. Decided to keep working with the way the world has changed, and so this gives me the space I need to do it (and then some... and then some!)

Just not looking forward to finding spots for a thing this big. Little bit nervous about that decision!

We just changed ranks to fulltime. We have been members of Escapee's for a while now, also the Texas Escapee's chapter, reading, learning and lurking on the Escapee's site . We have lived near Bastrop Texas for 17 years. We have been going through this transition for over a year. We have the RV rig we want. Listed the house in July and got an offer in one day, and now we are in the final closing. Since July 4th we have been living fulltime in the RV in the back yard to keep the house clean and get rid of the final furniture we have left. Come Aug 1st this Saturday we will pull the RV over to a nice site we reserved at a new long term campground that just opened up in Bastrop Texas (Bellamont Campground). We'll stay there for the next couple months so the wife can finish out and retire Oct 9th. We already have our Escapee's mailing address and just waiting to turn it on. Sometime in Oct we'll travel over to Livingston and finish up the transition, get our banking moved, register to vote and so on. We have already stayed at the Escapee's park a couple times over the last year or so.  

After that plans are to travel up to Northern Indiana to stay close to the Wife's parents, health wise they are fading fast. Give other family members a little brake. Hopefully before the snow flies we'll travel back down to Texas and probably winter on Galveston Island at the Jamaica Beach Resort. We love Galveston and have been there many times. Then come Feb we can renew our Texas vehicle registrations, visit our doctors and get our yearly check ups and so forth done. Come April or May who knows were we will end up.

It's been a long road to get here, but we can smell the freedom. 

Steve & Tami Cass, Fulltime Somewhere

2018 Ram 3500 DRW / 2019 Grand Design Solitude 3350RL S-Class. Texas Class A Drivers License

On 11/1/2019 at 1:26 PM, Steven@146 said:

Well Hello Class of 2020. The Wife and I will be joining ya'll next year. Currently we live 8 miles from Bastrop Texas near Austin. I am retired, Wife will next year in Sept. We will put the house on the market in spring and hope to have it sold before May. Still have to get rid of a lot of stuff yet but we are working on it. We are not new to RVing just will be new to the fulltime lifestyle. We  purchased in February a new fulltime living capable 37 foot 5th wheel and new 1 Ton truck to pull it. We will live in the RV here till Sept then travel up to Northern Indiana and Ohio where the rest of the family lives. Just after the Holidays 2020 will come back to Texas for the winter. Most likely winter in the Bastrop area since  we have lived here 17 years, have lots of friends here and there are now some 30 RV parks in and around this area. Winters here are not bad cold wise. Last night got down to 29* but this afternoon its supposed to get up to 62*. We really also love the Gulf Coast and Galveston Island and will probably share winter time there also. We will keep our Texas residency. Have the Class A Non CDL Texas drivers license already. We recently made a camping trip to Livingston to check it out and got the grand tour of the mail facility. Also did the SmartWeigh while we were there. We will get the paperwork done and transition our residence to Polk county.

We are members of the Escapees Alamo Texas Chapter and attend their Rally's.  Our Rally's are centered around the Texas Hill Country. They are great fun and we have made some good friends with this group.

We have Escapees membership stickers on our truck back window, if you see us stop by and say hello.

Steve & Tami Cass

Edited by Jeff and Shelly Modesitt
error

Hey everyone, just wanted to give a quick update on our progress. The mother in law had neck and back surgery a few weeks ago and her mobility is improving quickly. She wants to go back to Phoenix and live with my wife’s brother like she has been doing the last couple of years.

We have just a few things left to do on our house, which we should finish up next week. Signed the listing agreement this past Thursday. Realtor thought the place looks amazing, her word not mine, and thinks it will sell fast.

So hopefully we will still make the class of 2020! We’ll be happy dancing for sure...haha.🕺🕺💃💃

1 hour ago, CasperBob said:

Hey everyone, just wanted to give a quick update on our progress. The mother in law had neck and back surgery a few weeks ago and her mobility is improving quickly. She wants to go back to Phoenix and live with my wife’s brother like she has been doing the last couple of years.

We have just a few things left to do on our house, which we should finish up next week. Signed the listing agreement this past Thursday. Realtor thought the place looks amazing, her word not mine, and thinks it will sell fast.

So hopefully we will still make the class of 2020! We’ll be happy dancing for sure...haha.🕺🕺💃💃

Great news Bob.  Hope you guys are on the road soon.......Skeet

Well it looks like we are going to make the class of 2020 after all. Our house went on the market yesterday and we signe an offer for several thousand dollars over asking price this afternoon. Closing tentatively set for the middle of September. Full time RV life here we come!

Edited by CasperBob

Well it looks like we are going to make the class of 2020 after all. Our house went on the market yesterday and we signe an offer for several thousand dollars over asking price this afternoon. Closing tentatively set for the middle of September. Full time RV life here we come!

Am I ever envious, after all I went through last summer to sell my house.  Way to go!!