Class of 2020

skeet

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While we aren't part of the class, I did want to welcome you to the group and to the lifestyle. Starting your transition during the current difficulties certainly made it more of a challenge, but the upside is that you have confirmed that you can handle some difficulties and still make it!  Do not hesitate to take an active part in any and all of our forum areas!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

MaxwellsAway......Welcome to the "limbo" class of 2020. Most of us are in a "holding" situation....just waiting for life to return to normal. Glad you found a place to hunker down. I'm ready(finally) to put the house on the market....but the market isn't ready for me. Hopefully....it will work out. Stay safe and take care.....

Skeet

1 hour ago, skeet said:

I'm ready(finally) to put the house on the market....but the market isn't ready for me. Hopefully....it will work out.

A blogger I read put her house on the market last week and already has an offer. She moved her family to their cabin during that time so as to minimize COVID-19 concerns. Never say never. 🙂

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Yeah people are still buying...or so it would seem. My house sold, well its under contract, in 2 days from the time it hit the market I had multiple offers all over asking price. Now I'm not sure if I should have waited till after this all settles down. I might be scrambling for a place to stay if all has not calmed down by the time we close. But if I had waited and the economy has tanked, nobody will be buying. So....You play the cards as best you can and hope you have a winner. 🙂

2019 Thor ARIA 3901: 2019 Jeep Wrangler:

On 3/30/2020 at 10:59 AM, Good Life Highway said:

Has anyone else's plans been derailed by the pandemic?

We were supposed to go full-time on June 1 

Kris and Ryan

Absolutely us too! I started a post over in the Beginning RV forum. I wanted to get seasoned RVers input. You can read it here:

We are still in our rental apartment waiting to get an idea of when we might get to leave. Both of us like to plan and this is frustrating how to go from here. I already had itchy feet and was ready to hit the road by mid may, this is killing me! 

I still have a lot to get rid of and sell. Cant figure out how to have a social distance safe yard sale. I spend hours every day geting stuff posted on Ebay that is small enough to ship.

So one day we will be joining the class of 2020 and what a story we all will have to tell for years!

Stay safe y'all - until we meet one day.

Abby

1 hour ago, da'gheens said:

I still have a lot to get rid of and sell. Cant figure out how to have a social distance safe yard sale.

During these troubled times it helps to think outside the box. If you can trust, you can put things out with prices on them and a money box for people to put their payments in. Watch from a window if you feel you need to do that. Go out whenever no one is around to collect the money.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

4 hours ago, da'gheens said:

Absolutely us too! I started a post over in the Beginning RV forum. I wanted to get seasoned RVers input. You can read it here:

We are still in our rental apartment waiting to get an idea of when we might get to leave. Both of us like to plan and this is frustrating how to go from here. I already had itchy feet and was ready to hit the road by mid may, this is killing me! 

I still have a lot to get rid of and sell. Cant figure out how to have a social distance safe yard sale. I spend hours every day geting stuff posted on Ebay that is small enough to ship.

So one day we will be joining the class of 2020 and what a story we all will have to tell for years!

Stay safe y'all - until we meet one day.

Abby

I feel for you Abby! Our lease in our rental home (we sold our home 1 year ago in preparation for full timing) is up and we have had to find a new apartment. We just can't leave right now. We hope to be able to get on the road by October (before snow flies!). We also have a little bit more to get rid of - some furniture pieces and the rest donation (but Good Will is closed!). Who would have thought! Hope to meet you one day!!

Kris and ryan

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update, looks like the sale is a go. There were some problems discovered during the buyers home inspection but all has been taken care of. (who knew there was a 1000 gal oil tank buried in the yard, under a deck that had to be removed to get to it. 😱) So looks like the closing is set for May 29th. Not sure where we will be headed yet or what may or may not be open? Who know what travel restrictions will be in pace at the end of the month? But hey I have a self contained rig...right! Should be very interesting and quite the adventure starting out at this point in time. 😀

16 hours ago, Grizz1 said:

Just a quick update, looks like the sale is a go. There were some problems discovered during the buyers home inspection but all has been taken care of. (who knew there was a 1000 gal oil tank buried in the yard, under a deck that had to be removed to get to it. 😱) So looks like the closing is set for May 29th. Not sure where we will be headed yet or what may or may not be open? Who know what travel restrictions will be in pace at the end of the month? But hey I have a self contained rig...right! Should be very interesting and quite the adventure starting out at this point in time. 😀

Same closing date as my former home.  By far the most stressful part of the transition.  No problems sitting in a campground since mid-March.  But having my mind go wild over all the things that could go wrong with the house sale has been stressful.  On the positive side, sitting in a campground for two months has allowed us to work out a few of the kinks without compounding difficulties by traveling.

23 hours ago, Beerboy said:

Same closing date as my former home.  By far the most stressful part of the transition.  No problems sitting in a campground since mid-March.  But having my mind go wild over all the things that could go wrong with the house sale has been stressful.  On the positive side, sitting in a campground for two months has allowed us to work out a few of the kinks without compounding difficulties by traveling.

Well congrats to you and on your sale. Yeah its been awhile since I sold a house so I forgot how stressful the process can be! I was a lot younger back then and most likely didn't stress as much, or being more naive  didn't realize i should. 😂

But we have been here for 30 years so you kinda get a bit comfortable. But as of this morning all the issues have been resolved and now its up to the buyers to get their end in order and we should be good to go, Still shooting for the end of month, so we shall see. :)

On 11/1/2019 at 4:18 PM, sandsys said:

It is my understanding is that an LLC is a business that would own your truck and that has all types of implications including registration, insurance, truck scales, etc. Please, do lots of research before deciding to go that way.

Linda Sand, Class of 2008

So true.. An LLC is a business. Therefore your vehicles are registered to a business. If over 26,000# then you must comply with ALL the regulations that apply to commercial vehicles.  No longer have logbooks but electronic trip log, CDL, annual physical etc.  

I have heard the arguments that none of the above applies. Be involved in an accident and you will find out.  Remember if you did not declare to the insurance company your vehicle status they will not provide coverage when you need it most.

Be careful about saving some dollars.

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Closing was pushed back a week so we close on the 5th. Out on the 4th. Still kinda tryin' to get organized! Going to spend the first week in a local campground so we can get the rig organized and figure out where to next. Quite hectic and pretty exciting!

It's beginning to look like we are not going to make the class of 2020. My wife has been in AZ for the past two weeks because her mom had a couple serious health issues come up. DW going to bring her mom back to Casper for some physical therapy and rehab.

We are still going to sell our home but not sure if we will stay in WY or move to the Phoenix area while we are being care givers to the dear mama in law.

There is always time to travel, but the mother in law is more important right now. 

Finally made our break. Left yesterday for Amity COE in AL got here about 6PM. Drove thru on and off gully washers and frog chokers but seem to have finally left the rain behind. Here until Sunday then off to Doll Mountain COE in north GA then Cumberland Mountain SP in TN. After that, west to CO for boondocking. RVTP really makes finding COE parks so much easier, we have 4 or 5 on our route west. Taking our time, 200-250 miles a day and staying 3 days at most places.

Tentative plan right now is up to WY/MT then over to Stanley ID for the Sawtooths. Wanted to stop last year but the weather was awful there so drove thru. Maybe WA/OR depending on whether those states have come to their senses by then. Have to be back in FL for 3 weeks in September so my wife can retire from her job.

RVTP has a interesting new beta feature, you can get a link to your route that you can send to people that shows them you location. Supposed to update with changes to the route.

An update on our situation. We finally found THE rig we wanted and at the right price. The only issue is its in El Paso TX. We are in NC. I've ordered a RV inspection and the sale will be done long distance. Then the plan is to fly out there and the 2 of us will take our maiden voyage to drive it home. Mostly highways with the bare essentials stopping only for resting and sleeping. No time for sightseeing (yet) 😞. Launch is getting closer and we can feel a little more excited and the country starts opening up. However it terrifys us to see everyone else out "RVing" during the summer because they thing it is safer than staying at hotels. We'll be doing our darnedest to stay away from the crowded campgrounds until school starts and a lot of people go back to work and back home. Heck we may wait to launch till then. Thankfully we may have that option to extent our rental to monthly after the lease ends in July.

Good luck and happy trails to my class mates allready out there - be safe - be careful.

On 5/29/2020 at 2:53 PM, CasperBob said:

It's beginning to look like we are not going to make the class of 2020. My wife has been in AZ for the past two weeks because her mom had a couple serious health issues come up. DW going to bring her mom back to Casper for some physical therapy and rehab.

We are still going to sell our home but not sure if we will stay in WY or move to the Phoenix area while we are being care givers to the dear mama in law.

There is always time to travel, but the mother in law is more important right now. 

Bob,

Gosh...ya just never know what life is gonna throw your way. It's got to be disappointing...but family comes first. I'm sure mama-in-law is gonna appreciate your help. About 20 years ago my mama-in-law moved in with us for 3 years until she passed. She was unable to speak for the last 2 years of her life...but we could tell how thankful she was for our help. I wish a speedy recovery for your mama-in-law and hope you'll be hitting the road in the not to distant future.   Take care.....Skeet

On 5/29/2020 at 5:53 PM, CasperBob said:

I know the feeling. We missed out on the Class of 2019 graduation. Also had to delay by a few years our get away date to care for my in-laws. Your time will come and I hope your MIL gets well soon and you are back on track.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.  Closed on the house on the 5th. Have spent the last week at a CG not too far from our former house. Just getting organized and relaxing from the craziness of selling and moving  the last few weeks. Leaving here Friday the 12th and heading to Missouri to visit a friend an then off to South Dakota to see the Badlands and Custer SP, Devils Tower, Mt Rushmore and all the things to see and do in the area. Then...not sure yet! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there! I just came across this and decided that I need to join! Bob and I (Louise) are selling the house in September and becoming full timers. Yikes! We’ve done two 6-7 month winter trips in a row and never missed the house, and we’re itching to get back on the road only 2-3 months after returning. It’s time!

Background: Bob and I met about 10 years ago at ballroom dancing classes, we were both divorced many years. It took us 3 years to realize that we always had a lot of fun together, so we tried a date. And the rest, as they say, is history. Our second anniversary was spent in a Cracker Barrel lot, third at an RV Park in Florida, and by the time our fourth anniversary rolls around, we should be in our new domicile state of Texas!

I’ll be actively reading these discussion boards to pick up information as we go along! Cheers to all!    

6 hours ago, Bobalou said:

Hello there! I just came across this and decided that I need to join! Bob and I (Louise) are selling the house in September and becoming full timers. Yikes! We’ve done two 6-7 month winter trips in a row and never missed the house, and we’re itching to get back on the road only 2-3 months after returning. It’s time!

Background: Bob and I met about 10 years ago at ballroom dancing classes, we were both divorced many years. It took us 3 years to realize that we always had a lot of fun together, so we tried a date. And the rest, as they say, is history. Our second anniversary was spent in a Cracker Barrel lot, third at an RV Park in Florida, and by the time our fourth anniversary rolls around, we should be in our new domicile state of Texas!

I’ll be actively reading these discussion boards to pick up information as we go along! Cheers to all!    

Louise....So nice to have you in the group. Keep us up to date on your journey to full time. Take care.....Skeet

Welcome Louise and Bob! Congrats and welcome!!

We are about 2 weeks in and having a blast so far. Traveling too fast but hey that’s the newness and I’m sure we will slow down. Right now we are in Clear lake Iowa.