HDT, Smart Car & 42' Fifth wheel into Mexico???

Kevin & Yolanda Maksymyk

We are new to this forum, but have been full-timing it for 4 years. Does anyone have any advice on the procedures, risks, and costs of traveling into mainland Mexico with a large HDT (and Smart Car) pulling a 42' fifth wheel?  Any advice on routes, rv campgrounds, experiences, safety, etc?? 

We've been to the southern tip of Baja Mexico with a fifth wheel, but it was 36' pulled by a pickup.  There were times when it was far too big to get to the nice spots. And at that time Ultra Low Sulphur diesel was very difficult to find.  I also remember that on long stretches of the Baja #1 highway, it was very narrow...barely 8 ft wide.  Thus my concern about taking a large HDT and fifth wheel.  

What about Mexico vehicle insurance?  Who covers such a rig and how much $$? 

Any advice would really help.  

This is the Mexico Insurance company I use for our vehicles when our ministry is in Mexico.  Everything is over the phone and they email you the policy.  Nice lady who takes your information.  Be patient with her and she will get you a quote.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Search Mexico and HDT on the forum, or HDT in Mexico, and see what you get.  A part of Mexico is possible, but others have had issues.

Look for the caravan guys in Escapees who take groups down there.  They probably have the latest info.

I would not take our HDT down there.  They think it is commercial - you're doing business.  Once you are further down in the country, lots of things can change.  Even the Salvation Army lost one of their vehicles when it was taken down there by volunteers to during one of their disasters.   After all, you are not in the U.S. anymore.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

It's my understanding Mexico does not recognize any license classification for HDTs other than commercial, so taking a private HDT, even with MH registration, is difficult.

Can someone please verify this, or tell me I'm out in left field and just dreamed it?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

This reminds me of the story during our 1st year of participating on this forum, where one of our members pulled his 5iver down into Mexico, unhitched and drove back to the U.S. for whatever reason.  When he returned to cross the border with his truck -  they wouldn't let him enter.  Don't remember what the outcome was of that, but I know he was looking for someone with a pickup truck that would come and pull his 5er north!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

Thanks alot for the feedback folks. The issue about Mexician authorities not recognizing the truck's registration as a motorhome is a concern.  I will take the advice about talking to one of the RV Caravan companies.  The trip we took down the Baja was with "Baja Amigos".   An absolute blast and have developed life long friends as a result.  Look forward to more of that in the years to come.

But keep the feedback and advice coming.  More is better.