Anticlimactic border crossing

docj

Every time I cross into Canada I try to be prepared and have all possible documents within easy reach. Today, for the first time I even had Canadian insurance cards as suggested by Progressive even though I've never been asked for them before.  The wait time this morning was only ~15 minutes on I-81 north of Watertown NY and I was all ready to field whatever the border agent dished out.  He looked at our Montana and SD plates and asked "did you leave all your guns at home?"  I responded that we don't own any.  He asked again "If we look inside there won't be any?"  I repeated the same answer.  He then asked "how much alcohol do you have?" and I responded "Less than two liters."  At that point he handed back our passports with a "Go on" comment.  Not the most friendly welcome but I wasn't looking for friendship, just to get across the border!  😀

FWIW, the crossing on I-81 has a nice, wide RV-friendly aisle. It was nice not to have to squeeze between pylons afraid that you're going to lose a mirror in the process.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

It has been a few years now since we last drove into Canada, but in all of the numerous crossings we made we never once had any serious problems, even though our vehicles were searched on two occasions. We simply responded to any questions asked and did as directed and in every situation the Canadian border guards were professional and courteous. Perhaps they weren't friendly, but they are guards, not greeters. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI