Tire Pressure Sensor - Stuck

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I was checking the tire pressure on the truck today with my tire gauge. I have the TST tire pressure system. I was trying to remove one of the sensor. The sensor won't move. Right now I have sprayed PB Blaster on the threads of the valve stem.Is there anything else I can do ? I do not want to put vise grips on the back of the sensor for fear of deforming it. Do I just keeping putting PB Blaster on for a few days and wait or is there something else I can do ? I have tried to put a crescent wrench on the tool to remove the sensor and all that happens is the sensor removal tool starts to bend. So I stop.

Thanks for any help,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

If you have the cap style sensors, you may be able to break it loose by carefully using pliers or a wrench on the flats the supplied tool engages. The problem can occur if you have aluminum valve stems. The dissimilar brass threads cause corrosion due to galvanic action. Applying a dab of dielectric grease or anti-seize applied before installing the sensor will prevent the problem. I had to slice the threaded brass insert with a Dremel tool for one fellow that couldn't get a corroded sensor off. Fortunately, I was able to save the valve stem by cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner and a valve stem thread chaser.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

1 hour ago, Sehc said:

Mine have thin lock nuts that tighten against the bottom of the sensor. I have turn the nut clockwise to loosen then the sensor turns counter clockwise to remove. The PB blaster should help.

TST cap sensors have a freely rotating security cover that uses a supplied tool for installation or removal. Personally, I removed the security covers making the sensors no different than removing an ordinary valve cap, as well as a bit lighter and less noticeable.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Hi Everyone,

I was able to remove the sensor. I have a custom made ( T shape ) 1/2" wrench that I use on my crossfire system. It worked ok. Cleaned the threads on the sensor and valve stem. I now have dielectric grease on all of the valve stems.

Thank you Dutch for the tip on using dielectric grease.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Archived