Jump to content

Tire Pressure Sensor - Stuck


alan0043

Recommended Posts

Hi Everyone,

I was checking the tire pressure on the truck today with my tire gauge. I have the TST tire pressure system. I was trying to remove one of the sensor. The sensor won't move. Right now I have sprayed PB Blaster on the threads of the valve stem.Is there anything else I can do ? I do not want to put vise grips on the back of the sensor for fear of deforming it. Do I just keeping putting PB Blaster on for a few days and wait or is there something else I can do ? I have tried to put a crescent wrench on the tool to remove the sensor and all that happens is the sensor removal tool starts to bend. So I stop.

Thanks for any help,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you have the cap style sensors, you may be able to break it loose by carefully using pliers or a wrench on the flats the supplied tool engages. The problem can occur if you have aluminum valve stems. The dissimilar brass threads cause corrosion due to galvanic action. Applying a dab of dielectric grease or anti-seize applied before installing the sensor will prevent the problem. I had to slice the threaded brass insert with a Dremel tool for one fellow that couldn't get a corroded sensor off. Fortunately, I was able to save the valve stem by cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner and a valve stem thread chaser.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sehc said:

Mine have thin lock nuts that tighten against the bottom of the sensor. I have turn the nut clockwise to loosen then the sensor turns counter clockwise to remove. The PB blaster should help.

TST cap sensors have a freely rotating security cover that uses a supplied tool for installation or removal. Personally, I removed the security covers making the sensors no different than removing an ordinary valve cap, as well as a bit lighter and less noticeable.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone,

I was able to remove the sensor. I have a custom made ( T shape ) 1/2" wrench that I use on my crossfire system. It worked ok. Cleaned the threads on the sensor and valve stem. I now have dielectric grease on all of the valve stems.

Thank you Dutch for the tip on using dielectric grease.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...