towing a Mazda3 with manual transmission

Scottie

I have a 2006 Mazda3 with stick shift behind my MH.  My owners manual doesn't even mention flat towing and there's no mention of Mazda in the usual towing guides, So far I'm going with the conventional wisdom--that any manual tranny vehicle can be towed without problems. Do any members have any knowledge or opinion on the subject. I would like someone to affirm my decision or tell me why not. I apologize if this subject has been exhaustively  debated in past posts.

Scottie    

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, AlanCarbo said:

if you flat towed your mazda 3

You don't give us much to go on since you didn't list any year but I looked in the 2020 Dingy Towing Guide from Motorhome magazine and also on the Flat Towing Vehicle List from Curt Mfg. and no Mazda of any model is on either of those lists.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Last visited April 21, 2019

Yes, Scottie asked in 2019 about towing his Mazda 3 but Alan Carbo asked today if he flat towed the Mazda 3 which is what Scottie was asking about.  That's why it seems like Carbo was asking Scottie.

Oh well......  I've been wrong before and I think you have, also.  😉

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

9 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Yes, Scottie asked in 2019 about towing his Mazda 3 but Alan Carbo asked today if he flat towed the Mazda 3 which is what Scottie was asking about.  That's why it seems like Carbo was asking Scottie.

I think the point Kirk was making is that the OP hasn't been back here since April 2019, so he's unlikely to see Alan's question.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

6 hours ago, LindaH said:

I think the point Kirk was making is that the OP hasn't been back here since April 2019, so he's unlikely to see Alan's question.

It didn't seem like it.  Kirk asked him ..... "You don't give us much to go on since you didn't list any year"  It seemed like Kirk was asking about his car..... not the OP's.

Oh well..... I'm out of here!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Yes I was asking Scottie if he had actually flat towed his Mazda3 and what his experience was.  I have an older Mazda 3 manual transmission that I want to flat tow and I am so tired of using a dolly.  A mechanic tells me it should be no problem, but of course the Mazda manual says no.  A base plate is made for the Mazda 3 so I suspect someone is towing them.  Frankly, I don't care about the car that much, but the cost of the baseplate is $600 and I would rather not throw that money down away if it is going to wreck the transmission.  Plus, then when I get to where I am going I won't have a car to use---even worse.  The car cost me $200---that is why I don't care about it.  

Since it isn't listed in the 2004 Dingy Towing Guide, it is pretty safe to say that Mazda didn't approve towing it. The thing that determines the towability of a manual transmission is whether the lubrication is supplied by the input shaft or the output shaft, or so I was told by a Ford service supervisor, back when I was towing a manual transmission Ford Ranger. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI