air slide to charge onboard air?

house

I am getting ready to pull the 5ver hitch of my truck, I have an air slide 5th wheel, and I was  wondering if that would be an ok place to tap into an onboard air source that would protect the truck.  I realize the supply line is not that large, but If i was to plump the flatbed with air lines and a tank, could I theoretically flip the switch on the dash to charge the system. then flip it off when i am done? or should i just splice into one of the air tanks? is this a crazy idea?

Thanks

Nick

That should be a fine source for air for an air ride hitch.  It doesn't take much volume to air up an RV air ride hitch.  My hitch is plumbed with 1/4" air line from my air ride driver's seat.  I did this so I could tell if my hitch lost air while running down the road (because my seat would also lose air).

Some people tap into the rear air bag lines so when they dump the air suspension, they also dump the air hitch.  With an air slider already plumbed to the location, that would be my first choice for supplying my RV air ride hitch.  It should require very little/if any modification to get air to the RV hitch.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Make sure that switch doesn't have an alarm on it, or get used to listening to the alarm every time you use it to pressurize.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

9 minutes ago, house said:

I was thinking more for filling up tires or running air tools from a tank, I very rarely change the air level in my hitch but i guess i could plump that into the mix as well

I put a air hose connection on the trailer supply line. I hook up the air hose and push the red button. No need for another air tank.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Look at the back side of the air tank. Many of them have plugs in unused holes. Remove the plug and put whatever type of fitting in it that you want.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

2 hours ago, house said:

I was thinking more for filling up tires or running air tools from a tank, I very rarely change the air level in my hitch but i guess i could plump that into the mix as well

I guess I misunderstood your original question.  Sorry about that.  I have done it two different ways.  At first, I put an air hose quick connect on the trailer brake line.  Engage the red knob in the cab and connect an air hose and there you go.  I have since done away with this and plumbed a line directly into the wet tank and put an air hose quick connect mounted at the driver's side back corner of the cab.  This serves two purposes for me.  It allows me to air things up while out and about if need be.  Then with a simple male to male quick connect adapter it allows me to plug the truck into my shop air compressor when parked to keep the truck aired up all the time.  My T2000 used to eat cab air bags about once a year because they didn't like being folded over themselves for extended periods when deflated after being parked for a few days.  Now they stay inflated all the time (like it is running down the road regularly as it was designed) and it has been two years since I have had to replace a cab air bag.  The cab bags should continue to give me good service for quite a few years to go at this rate.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Archived