Buying from Private Seller - Texas

Greg112

I figure if I bought from a dealership they'd take care of this but.....

If I buy a motorhome from a private seller what hoops do I need to jump through? We're full-timers with Texas residency in Polk County. A brief review of Texas DMV website would have me believe I need to walk in to the Polk County tax office to complete the transfer/registration. Surely not???

If I buy one from a private seller in Texas could I not use their county tax office to transfer title and take care of registration? Isn't it a two part deal - title transfer than registration or do they go together?

Some insights from those who have been through this are welcome.

Thanks... Greg

Also there is the payment of the 6.25% vehicle sales tax, based on the purchase price or standard presumptive value (SPV), whichever is the highest value.

http://www.txdmv.gov/spv-calculator

I don't remember the details of title transfer.  You can probably do a search on Texas title transfer.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I bought our Teton from a private owner in Texas and we are Texas residents, We took the bill of sale to the tax office, ours is in Walker county. They made a new title and we paid the taxes and fees. Now I just put the plates off of my DRV to get it to the rv park but that not the proper way. Need to get a temp tag. Now before everyone jumps on me, in NC, that is a common practice since they transfer tags. Texas issues one.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

10 minutes ago, Greg112 said:

s it possible to mail the paperwork to my (Polk) County tax office I wonder?

Rather than relying on us, why not just call the office and ask to get your answers?

LESLIE JONES BURKS, TAC

416 N WASHINGTON LIVINGSTON, TX 77351

(936) 327-6801 OFFICE / (936) 327-6885 FAX

HOURS: Monday — Friday — 8:00a.m — 4:30p.m

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 4 years later...

If the seller had the title in hand and it has no liens on it, you should be good to go but you could ask the DMV to confirm that. Before you buy, take down the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and go to Title Check on the TxDMV website to use the national motor vehicle database to make sure the vehicle has a clean title. If the RV is still financed, I would contact the lien holder and discuss your purchase with them to see how they can handle it as most lien holders are happy to be paid off.

If you drive to TX and buy it and then return to LA with title in hand you should have no problem in registering it there but you will probably have to pay LA sales tax on it.  In addition to the 4.45 percent state sales tax, most parishes and many municipalities have a local sales tax ranging from 1.85 percent to 7 percent.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI