Keystone/Alpine 3701 vs Grand Designs 380fl

If you have the time would you look between the two and give me your thoughts? Only if your free and have the time,I appreciate your opinions.

this is the layout I like open to other suggestions.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2019/fifth-wheel/solitude/floorplans/380fl-380fl-r#virtual_tour

https://www.keystonerv.com/fifth-wheels/alpine/floorplans/3700fl-fifth-wheel/

Grand Design all the way

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

12 hours ago, dblr said:

I think you will receive better customer service from Grand Design from what I have read on different forums.

Maybe..........maybe not. Customer service is relative to dealer selection.  If a person does proper research on DEALER SELECTION the chances of ever having to contact the mfg are slim. I have bought 3 new Montanas from the same dealer and only a few minor issues which were handled properly and quickly without the mfg having to be contacted. I would never buy any RV based solely on floor plan or "set-up". BTW when shopping for our last unit we also looked at a Solitude at the same dealer and couldn't tell much difference between it and the Montana we selected except the GD was $8k more and same floor plan. 

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

Thanks for the replies. Having owned Lance Brand since 1999 I’ve been out of the look. Just by looking at these two I mentioned,it appears they were built under nearly identical plans. The moldings ,cabinets,all look the same. I have no idea if there is a price difference, if so what would warrant it? I’m doing as much research as I can dig up. Both parts of big conglomerates, Winnebago vs Thor ( sounds like a wrestling match) . I’m going to add one more to the mix the DRV  . Now I expect the DRV to cost much more. 

Can any one expand on Grand Designs over Keystone build wise? Please

I would expect the Alpine to cost the least and the DRV most. When you shop you will find that some of the differences are not visible just walking through but you need to look deeper. One of the easiest things to check is how the inside of the drawers are made. Cheapest will be plastic pans, most is plywood with glued corners. Look inside the cabinets to see how they are put together. What is the roof material and how are roof and walls constructed? In most cases, the higher quality RV will also weigh more as particle board is much lighter in weight than plywood and solid wood weighs most. A stronger frame/chassis will weigh more too. Fit and finish of the interior make big differences and the higher quality units will retain their new look much longer than the less costly RVs. What type of brake system does each one have? Least expensive is electric drum brakes while best is hydraulic disc brakes. How many and what type of batteries, size, make, and model of inverter/converter does each one have? Look at the lighting as the least costly is the standard 12V automotive lights while florescent are better and good LED is best. Look at the fabrics in the upholstery as lose, course weave will look nice but not wear well. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If your going to add the DRV to the list, which are very nice units, you also might want to look at the River Stone and their Legacy line as well, rated a full time unit and much less then a DRV. We have had ours now going on 3 years now and are very pleased with it, we are not full timers but do get to use it close to 150 nights a year. Good luck on your search.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

And, if you are going to add DRV to the list, you'll be needing to look at a very capable tow vehicle. At least the most robust dual-rear wheel (DRW) pick-ups and very likely something heavier than that. DRV's are built well, and are very heavy because of it. Frankly they are in a league (and price range) that is different than the other two you've listed. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Folks Rv , full time, long time in all brands and all price ranges of RV's.To the user customer service usually  means your dealer or a dealer and there are good ones and not so good ones. Choose the RV you can afford and meets your travel and living needs.

Both the grand design and the alpine are excellent units choose the one that is best for you. I like to look at the unit weight and if one weighs considerable more than the other i look to see were the difference in weight is. Our budget puts us in the Mid Range RV pricing. None of our 6 RV's  were  Grand Design so can not speak to dealer service. Both our 5th  wheels were Keystone products(Montana's) as they fell within our budget our purchasing dealer on both of them is excellent. Alpine is also a Keystone product considered to be at the top of their line. Keystone has a service center in Goshen Ind that is IMO and dealings excellent. Since we travel the county we always call the service center if we need work done on the road and let them find us a dealer or repair center.We would do the same with any brand.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

On 10/13/2018 at 7:18 AM, WeBeFulltimers said:

Maybe..........maybe not. Customer service is relative to dealer selection.  If a person does proper research on DEALER SELECTION the chances of ever having to contact the mfg are slim. I have bought 3 new Montanas from the same dealer and only a few minor issues which were handled properly and quickly without the mfg having to be contacted. I would never buy any RV based solely on floor plan or "set-up". BTW when shopping for our last unit we also looked at a Solitude at the same dealer and couldn't tell much difference between it and the Montana we selected except the GD was $8k more and same floor plan. 

Dealer selection for purchase doesn't make quite as big a difference with Grand Design as it does with some other brands. GD will authorize the use of another dealer, RV service business, or mobile tech for warranty repairs. We've worked directly with GD Customer Service on parts where I could do the work myself and they've authorized a mobile tech for warranty repairs on two separate occasions - once when we were in an RV park across the street from the local GD dealer! (That particular local dealer has a terrible reputation and I refused to use them.)

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Archived