Droning

dewilso

As far as I know, my DJI Spark does not have "headless" mode. But it is incredibly easy to fly. It has flashing colored lights to tell you which way it is facing. It will hover in position if you let go of the controls. It has obstacle avoidance (unless you turn it off).  It will "return home" automatically and land. It will land in your hand, set up properly. It will obey hand gestures (set up properly) for close-in maneuvering. It will "follow" a designated object. In THIS VIDEO you will see in the beginning (half) that the drone is following the truck. We were experimenting. We set the drone to follow the CanAm, and it did, until it got too close to a tree, then it stopped. Manual control moved it along after that.

These are amazing devices. The flying you see in that video was done essentially the first time we flew the device. It is that easy.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Nice video Jack! This was my first flight. I was about to hit the power line so landed quickly. I was new so accidentally toggled off the video camera. Mine does audio too.

This is the $39.99 Drone I bought first. Posted just to show that even doing it all manually, you don't crash if you just stop, and land. Also make your first flights on a calm day with little to no wind. I haven't taken it out in a couple of years, so take that into consideration. The link I posted earlier has a clone of the Spark for about $70.00.

First flight

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I'm still using a DJI Phantom Pro I bought several years ago. I take it with me on summer ATV & Jeep rides through the mountains to get overhead views of the trails.  Since I now spend  winters on my sailboat in the Bahamas, I've taken the drone aboard for some great overhead shots of the boat & the islands. But landing the Phantom on a rocking boat doesn't work well, so I've had to learn to catch its feet by hand while hovering it near the boat. On a sailboat you've got the mast, sails & all the rigging lines to avoid during takeoff &  landing. 

Jim

JRP, I used to catch mine also when I had my boat "not sail".  I always thought that if it ever had to return home on its own and I couldn't override it, it would be a goner.  

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Many, MANY years ago I ran across a guy who carried his ultralight, folded, in a roof pod. He’d set it up then have his buddy drive to takeoff speed & leave the roof. Don’t know how he retrieved, but bet it wasn’t a neat as hovering & grabbing!

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

Archived