In wall slide vs through the wall slide

dosbeagles

Hi,  reading about slide units I see there are several types.  The first one is the in wall vs through the wall.  I thought all slides were both in and through the wall.  What is the difference between the two classifications and which one is newer technology  and your opinion as to which one is better and why.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris & Joni
The Beagles now 3 Daphne, Ace and Flash
looking
2016 Acura MDX

http://jnctravelogue.wordpress.com

I think they're referring to "surface" through the wall versus "flush" in the wall slides. Surface slides when retracted still protrude slightly past the exterior wall and seal around the opening with an obvious lip. Flush slides retract into a recessed wall opening presenting a smooth flush exterior wall appearance, with the seal against a recessed lip.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

It has to be just different manufacturers/dealers have different terminology when describing slides.  When building any RV with a slide there really is only one way.  You have a wall with a opening and a pre-built "box" gets set inside that opening, and abra cadabra…….we have a slide out....

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

The Lippert website touts the qualities of both in wall slides and through the frame slides.  But I am still not seeing the benefits of one over the other.  I believe the through the frame slide and through the wall slides are the same.

Chris & Joni
The Beagles now 3 Daphne, Ace and Flash
looking
2016 Acura MDX

http://jnctravelogue.wordpress.com

4 minutes ago, dosbeagles said:

I believe the through the frame slide and through the wall slides are the same.

Might the difference be in where the hardware is located? Some in the walls of the slide and others have it under the floor of the slide? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

17 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

Might the difference be in where the hardware is located? Some in the walls of the slide and others have it under the floor of the slide? 

I imagine something like this is the case.  The Schwintek slide system has the mechanism completely enclosed in the wall, with no beams or other mechanisms located below the slide. 

Many other systems support the slide on a pair of beams that are driven either hydraulically or electrically (rack and pinion) with the support beams exposed below the floor and in either penetrating the trailer frame or riding above it. 

Perhaps this is the distinction between the "in the wall" (Schwintek) and "through the wall (frame?) systems. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

NuWa called them "glide rooms." 

2002 NuWa HitchHiker II 31 FKTG, Onan Generator, HWH Levelling, RVFlexArmor roof

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, SRW, 8.1L

B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch

Me and Mama and the fur-kid:
Prince - chihuahua-pug mix

Archived