OT: Followup Dish vs. Direct

SuiteSuccess

Posting here even though there is a forum dedicated to satellite tv.  So please no flaming.  I have decided that I will convert my Trav’lr Satellite to Dish from Direct with the conversion kit.  I can do the mechanical stuff but after that need help.  I have a Dish VIP 211z receiver already.  It supports only one tv.  I also have a setup that I can convert infrared to RF and back again so a remote would work from the bedroom to control the receiver.  I have no need to watch separate channels at the same time in living room and bedroom. Will be only watching one tv at a time. So I guess the question is do I have ALL that I need to do the conversion or do I need something else to make this conversion? (Besides the conversion kit).

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl,
I am assuming you have the instruction sheet for reprogramming the interface box to point at the Dish TV sat's you are looking for? They are listed here at the end of the manual. The interface box was probably programmed to DTV sat's. Also, once you do the interface box most Dish/Bell sat receiver's will require to to go into setup menu and do a check switch.  

Mark,

Previous owner already has it connected to Direct Receiver.  I am going to trailer this afternoon to look at all the connections and will get back with you.  Was hoping you would see this and respond as I know you are the guru on this stuff and you have personal experience with my ignorance of all things electronic 😊. Will take some pics if it’s not straight forward.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

22 minutes ago, RickS said:

Carl,
I am assuming you have the instruction sheet for reprogramming the interface box to point at the Dish TV sat's you are looking for? They are listed here at the end of the manual. The interface box was probably programmed to DTV sat's. Also, once you do the interface box most Dish/Bell sat receiver's will require to to go into setup menu and do a check switch.  

Thanks Rick.  Bookmarked both pages.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Mark,

Previous owner already has it connected to Direct Receiver.  I am going to trailer this afternoon to look at all the connections and will get back with you.  Was hoping you would see this and respond as I know you are the guru on this stuff and you have personal experience with my ignorance of all things electronic 😊. Will take some pics if it’s not straight forward.

Mainly, if the bedroom connection is coax, HDMI, or other

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Ok Mark, here is more than you will ever need to know, lol. Bedroom tv.  HDMI comes from DVD player, coax from living room, rca apparently from living room also (goes into wall).

cDG9UCSl.jpg

Living room setup.jLHV6dCl.jpg

TBHApuql.jpg

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

More pics of living room.

bzjAOnpl.jpgT28zKogl.jpgiJF0Geil.jpg

cables labeled (two black) roof sat #1 sat#2.  Pink cable sat #o/s

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl,

I can walk you through this, but it might be easier to do off line.

Basically, your 211z box should have HDMI and RCA outputs and a coax SAT in connection on the back.  The HDMI out on the 211z should go into your receiver input.  This will distribute the signal to all devices connected to the receiver (with the proper input selected).  In other words, this will give you surround sound and picture on your TV in the living room.

The RCA out on the 211z should go to the RCA input on the small box on the back wall of your entertainment center cabinet with all the RCA cables connected to it.  This will then distribute the signal to all your TV locations in the trailer directly through the RCA cables.  The RCA cables coming out of the wall in the bedroom should be plugged into the RCA inputs on the bedroom TV.  With this input selected on the TV, you should see whatever the 211z is tuned to.  This signal will not be a full 1080 resolution like the HDMI connection would be.

The coax coming from the satellite dish on the roof (either of the two coax cables you show - SAT#1 or SAT#2) will connect to the SAT in on the back of the 211z to allow it to receive signal from the dish.

Hopefully that makes sense.  It shouldn’t be hard to accomplish once you have the satellite dish converted.

Let me know if you need anything specific.  There are other ways to get full 1080 HD quality in the bedroom (requiring some additional equipment), but the above is the easiest way to get the bedroom TV to work.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Also, if you plan to use a ground mount satellite as a back up, this can be accomplished with a simple coax A/B switch before connection to the 211z.  You didn’t ask about this, but I thought I would mention it.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

1 minute ago, Chad Heiser said:

Also, if you plan to use a ground mount satellite as a back up, this can be accomplished with a simple coax A/B switch before connection to the 211z.  You didn’t ask about this, but I thought I would mention it.

Chad,

Thanks so much. Will the Directv SWM box work with Dish?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

You do not need that box (SWM) once you convert to Dish.  It is Direct TV specific.

event.png    

1 minute ago, Chad Heiser said:

You do not need that box (SWM) once you convert to Dish.  It is Direct TV specific.

Ok. One other ?  Looks like my IR to RF to IR is connected to the Sony components so it should still work right?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

5 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Ok. One other ?  Looks like my IR to RF to IR is connected to the Sony components so it should still work right?

If it has an IR eye you can put in front of the 211z, it should.  You could also switch to a Wally receiver (the newer version of the 211z).  They come with RF remotes.

event.png    

9 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

If it has an IR eye you can put in front of the 211z, it should.  You could also switch to a Wally receiver (the newer version of the 211z).  They come with RF remotes.

Considering switching to Wally.  Guess it’s time to order parts.  Thanks for the help.   Also thank you Mark and Rick.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived