Need electronics help..please

I have an Insignia tv in my trailer. It uses a 12v “wall wart” adapter. I have it connected to my 12v system directly. Not using the power adapter.

when my solar system is fully charging the batteries I can see as high as 13.8 volts on the feed to this TV. At that point the TV must have an over voltage circuit as the picture goes black but audio remains.

as an experiment I used the power adapter the TV came with powered by my inverter. This power supply outputs exactly 12 volts as tested with a digital VOM when powered by my inverter. No issues, TV works fine in this configuration.

when supply voltage is down at 11.5 -12v, the TV is fine.

how can I build (or purchase) some type of voltage regulator to maintain voltage at no more than 12v?

thanks

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

Buy a cheap 150 watt inverter and plug into 12 volt supply, and then use your tv "wall wart". Not the most efficient way, but it will protect your tv.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

5 hours ago, TheLongWayHome said:

Yikes!!

For a single device just go on eBay or Aliexpress and look for a 12v 2a (or whatever amp output you need. 1a-5a is common) "buck" converter/regulator. $5-$10 will get you a prewired little box that's easily mountable (and weatherproofable). If you want to go "component", wire and "house" your own... more like $.50-$1.50 for a board module.

Nice little one there. 9-22v input to 12v 2a regulated output. $8

Adjustable models are available too. Those type will set you back $20 though.

7 minutes ago, rbertalotto said:

It’s strange that a smaller version of the same TV in the bedroom has no issues.

If it's futher away from your source you might be getting enough line loss that's keeping the juice flow "in-range", it may simply have a higher tolerance, or "smaller" might also have less internal regulation/protections and it's running that one "hot".

There are basically three types of DC-to-DC convertors, buck, boost, and buck/boost. Most buck and boost converters need a 2 volt offset. This means that for a boost converter, to  get 12 volts out you would need 10 volts or less in. For a buck converter you would need at least 14 volts in. What is needed is a buck/boost converter.

My laptop needs 19 volts so I was able to use a cheap boost converter that I purchased on eBay for $2.50.

Here's a typical one available on Amazon:

Drok Buck/Boost converter

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this device from AMAZON and just wired it in. Works great! You can easily regulate the output voltage and regulate the accuracy of the display. Like most devices from China...no instructions except for what is written on the unit. But pretty easy to understand. No matter the input voltage, my TV is now seeing 12V constantly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DXEU4KA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

Archived