Trip completed one year ago today at 11:30 p.m.

Vegas Teacher

So today is the day Flyer and I drove from El Paso to Las Vegas on the last leg of our trip from Florida to Las Vegas.

On March 12 we got into El Paso late at night and I did not see much as we were driving into town. We Stayed at a Loves toward the edge of town. Then next morning when we woke up I saw Juarez Mexico on the way out of town. I never completely understood the difference between the U.S. and Mexico until I saw it. I have been to San Diego and from there went to Tijuana Mexico but it was just not the same. Strip malls and neon lights on one side of I -10 slums on the other. I grew up in conservative America Farm Country, not what I saw growing up.

Anyway we drove from El Paso to Las Vegas today in 2017. Today was the day I hit the wall. I was tired of being in the semi, however instead of going back into the sleeper and going to sleep I stayed up the entire time. I have never been across I-10 and did not want to miss any part of it, but I was bored at the same time. Plus I was missing the D.W. and my puppy, Oldriska "Risk" my working line German Shepherd bred on a Czech lines going back to the dogs who guarded the borders of Germany, she is a very compact, high drive tough little dog. When we hit Phoenix it was about 4 p.m. and there was an incredible amount of traffic. Flyer had an App that routed us way out and around town to miss the traffic but I think we went an extra 50 miles to bypass the traffic. About half was residential and I was behind the wheel. So to say I was short on sleep and nervous was an understatement. Then we were on I - 17 on our way up to I - 40. I -17 had construction and narrow lanes, not fun but we made do with what we had to work with. Just outside of Kingman Arizona at around 8:45 or 9:00 p.m. I could not drive any more. Flyer and I had been switching off and on most of the day, but I just couldn't go any more.

Well we made it back and put it in the Father in laws side yard at about 11:30 p.m. and my journey was over but my life with the semi had just begun.

So a year later I love the old orange pumpkin. I am learning new stuff about it each time I take it out and drive it.

Later,

Cory O 

28 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

I thought we were not allowed to drive our trucks into Mexico

I was not in Mexico, but from I - 10 from the Semi I could easily see across the border. I went into Tijuana on a Vacation with my wife 12 years ago on a tour bus that left out of San Diego. I would never think of driving my truck down into Mexico. On a side not have you heard of the Vacation groups that 10 or 15 will caravan into Mexico pulling travel trailers and 5th wheels with regular trucks. Back a few years ago we stayed at a place in southern California. It was a time share for R.V. spots just like the condo but R.V. spots instead. They organized trips into Baja California and other parts of Mexico. Even with a big group, to me that was inviting to much trouble. No I did not buy a time share parking spot, I thought it was a ridiculous amount of money for what they offered, when I could get just as good by staying at a KOA at the time, or now staying at Love's or Flying J for free LOL!!!!!  

Archived