Help for those needing to control data usage

Chalkie

There have been several threads discussing (or cussing) that Windows 10 does not allow you to choose a time for updating and thus impacts the data usage for those with fixed amounts. I found this free program in an article. It does not require installing as it is run as a standalone program and can make a number of changes to the security behavior of your machine. One of the settings that caught my eye those that let you control updates. The program does not recommend shutting off automatic updates, but it does let you do it. It is called O&O ShutUp10.

control.jpg

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Have you tried it yourself? This is a unique program. What concerns me is on the download page it says it is compatible with the fall Creators Update. The Spring creators update, Windows 10 version 1803 will likely be released in the next 30 - 45 days.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

4 hours ago, RV_ said:

Have you tried it yourself? This is a unique program. What concerns me is on the download page it says it is compatible with the fall Creators Update. The Spring creators update, Windows 10 version 1803 will likely be released in the next 30 - 45 days.

I have, although I did not turn on those particular features as I do not worry about data usage. Having said that this might be a time to use this feature for those not wanting to update right away or not wanting to be surprised by a large data dump. 

I am impressed at all the features of Windows 10 that can be controlled with a little help. These are probably things that you could do without the help via regedit, but I sure would not know where to look for them. Another thing I like is that it encourages you to create a restore point before making any changes (and does that for you) so that if you do something and it is not what you like or expected, you can undo relatively easily.

I have no answer as to its compatibility with the upcoming update, however, my suspicion is that it will be fine as the company is a certified Microsoft Partner at the Gold level for both Application Development and OEM. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Yes I saw that and their GMBH certification in Germany which says it is a financially stable company. AG is the highest financial/business rating over there. I may give it a try for tomorrow's Windows update day. It may be a big one as they are redoing some patches about the hardware/firmware Intel chip issues. I may wait a day or tow this time and that would be a great time to try it out. Thanks for the pass on Chalkie!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived