How much weight will a piece of steel tubing, 2"x2"x1/4" support at the end of a 3 foot unsupported span?

mr. cob

14 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Dave,

Understand none of this is elegant but it is functional.  This block is a spare.  The ones I use are black.ZxVsYGLl.jpg

Chocks are raised two inches.

QgYMwcXl.jpg

Roller for ramps (end that I’m pushing under car.  One for each ramp and I leave them on while traveling.  Height of wheels only about half inch above ramp end).

l8FiqPtl.jpgUNtUVp3l.jpg

Walmart cutting boards that I set other end of ramp on to keep from rubbing bed.  However going to change to rubber “feet” that I will attach to one end. I “X” the straps front and back to center the ramps under the car.

kbDaZ52l.jpg

Like I said not elegant but it works.

Howdy Carl,

THANK YOU for the photos.  True "elegance" is something SIMPLE that works and your setup is both simple and elegant.:D

I see you use the same "channel" as I do to locate and hold the ramps into position.

I am sure that this tread is going to be of great assistance to anyone who is thinking about building a Smart Car deck, I really wish there was a way of having all these build threads placed in an easy to FIND and ACCESS place here in the HDT forum. 

I doubt I am the only one who has trouble with and is frustrated trying to find information especially photos when using or in my case failing to find such information by way of the search function.  That's the main reason I try to give my threads a very descriptive title so I can find them again should I ever need to.  Again thanks for your post it is a gold mine of information which I will put to use.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Another method is “tape measure engineering”. That’s where when you’re out for a bike ride and see a commercial flatbed hauling something big and ugly with weight outboard and you stop and tape measure the materials in the deck :)

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

4 minutes ago, noteven said:

Another method is “tape measure engineering”. That’s where when you’re out for a bike ride and see a commercial flatbed hauling something big and ugly with weight outboard and you stop and tape measure the materials in the deck :)

Howdy noteven,

For the last four years that I have attended the National Rally, I could have EASILY took photos and measurements of MANY trucks with Smart Car decks but until I wanted such an accessory I had no reason or interest in doing such a thing.  However with the kind advise and support of members of this forum, I will prevail in this endeavor.  Once the weather allows me to make sparks I'll return the favor with a detailed photo enhanced build report.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

5 minutes ago, NoDirectionHome said:

image.png.de1017b403a5144b40d87b424f4c3342.png

Howdy NDH,

Is there a web site where one can plug in the type and size of structural iron that would calculate this type of information? 

I found a couple that used formulas that are WAY BEYOND my mathematical ability to understand.  I "assumed" that in this day of computers there would be a web site where one could for example plug in a description of the steel being used, the span it would cross, or the lenght of span if only supported on one end, input the load and get some kind of table or graph showing if what you wanted to do was safe or give you guidance on what type of steel you would need to do the job safely, I could find nothing like that.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Is there a web site where one can plug in the type and size of structural iron that would calculate this type of information? 

I'm sure there must be.  Try Engineer's Edge.  For tubing some manufacturer's may have a calculator.  The difficult part is calculating the moment of inertia of a particular cross section if you want to do it long hand.  For instance I had to estimate the corner radii and tensile strength of the steel so all numbers are approximate as indicated.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

2 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Check out this site for calculations:

Engineering Toolbox

Howdy TXiceman,

Thanks for the link, looks like a LOT of information there I am going to spend some time there checking it out.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave, I am a retired mechanical engineer and used the site some.  My career was spent in applied heat transfer and thermodynamics, so I did not get into the mechanical side often.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

5 minutes ago, Scrap said:

If your Shigley is 4th edition you are old! ;)  Did the math on a HP 11C? :ph34r::P  

Howdy Brian,

English translation, please.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

3 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Dave, I am a retired mechanical engineer and used the site some.  My career was spent in applied heat transfer and thermodynamics, so I did not get into the mechanical side often.

Ken

Howdy Ken,

I have no formal engineering education but spent my life as a machinist, welder, fabricator and was always one to push the envelope in building high performance engines and off road Jeeps.  Just kinda did what I felt was right and it always seemed to work sometimes pretty well and to the surprise of others who would later copy what I tried first.

When it comes to building the Smart Car, deck I am not trying to reinvent the wheel, I'll be incorporating the ideas of MANY into my build with some touches of my own.  I am grateful to ALL who have shared their knowledge in this and all my other threads concerning the transformation of the Peterbilt, into my next RV Hauler.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

2 hours ago, Scrap said:

Sorry, bad nerd joke for NoDirectionHome.

To answer the question, I get 912lbs where it bends 1/2" and doesn't come back.

Howdy Brian,

So based on your post and that of others, I will as usual be over engineering this bed and should have no problems carrying the Smart Car as I have in mind to build the rear deck.  Thanks for the feed back.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

If your Shigley is 4th edition you are old! ;)  Did the math on a HP 11C? :ph34r::P

Umm, yeah... thats why I get so much entertainment from what I read here :rolleyes:
My Machinery's Handbook looks like the dead sea scrolls!

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Howdy All,

Got the commercial hitch taken off today, little steps but I am getting to where I'll be able to start building the bed when the weather improves.  I finalized my plan on how to build it, have a quote for the steel, now its just a matter of when I'll be able to start making sparks.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived