Tools for serving with Christian service groups, need a TH?

WileyOhio

Over the years, I've acquired a lot of mechanics and building tools.  Nearing retirement, the plan is to serve with SOWER Ministry working on various projects around the country.  If you have done this sort of thing with SOWER or one of the similar ministries, what sort of tools have you carried, what did you wish you had, and what did you carry that you never used?  We're thinking 5th wheel toy hauler with as small a garage as we can get for tools and 2 bicycles.  Advice on tools, storage, and RV selection will be appreciated.

First, let me say welcome to the Escapee Forums! We are happy you joined us.

While not a member of SOWERS myself, we live in a community of RVers that includes quite a few of them, some members of Campers on Mission, a NOMAD, several members of Texas Baptist Men, and probably one or two other Christian service members. The proper selection of tools is somewhat dependant upon what sort of skills you happen to have. Most of those I know carry a pretty good selection of woodworking tools, power tools, and general handyman tools. One neighbor carries a masonry saw, trowels and mortar boards and such because he is a bricklayer/stone mason. Another SOWER friend carries very few tools but lots of computer related items because he does that sort of thing for projects since that is his expertise and a retired mechanic I know who is with NOMADS carries a very large mechanic's toolbox that is full of wrenches, impact tools, and specialized  items for major engine repairs. In short, carry anything that you are skilled at using and willing to serve with. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

A lot of projects have a lot of maintenance type handyman jobs so I carry a wide variety of various hand tools that don't take up a lot of space. Various battery powered drills, drivers and saws. I also carry drywall tools even though it not something I like but it seems like is always needed. I carry a router, belt sander, power hand saw. Something that I didn't carry for several years was my chop saw because it takes a lot of room and relative heavy. I just started carrying it this last year as there have been several time I could of used it. I prefer construction type projects or work as a trim carpenter. As Kirk said a lot depends on the skills you have. I've run into several project that need a mechanic, electrician, etc. If you have tools that you not sure about maybe you can store them with someone until after you've worked a few projects to see what you may want. I left all of my woodworking tool with my son who has a big shop and sometimes I will drop off something that I find I don't need or pick up something I know I may be needing. Hope this helps.

Dave and Marge

2010 Phaeton Motor Home
Previous Mobile Suites 36 RSSB3 (for sale)
and 2005 FL M2-106 Sport (for sale after 5er sells)

We have volunteered for Habitat for Humanity in several locations for several years. The larger affiliates that run on-going builds generally have every tool that is needed. Some volunteers did bring their own tools. We did not. Unfortunately the Escapees Habitat BOF disbanded for lack of interest. You can get a lot of information about the Habitat RV Care-A-Vanners from their website

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

• 2 weeks later...

In 2012 we went to Alaska in a caravan, another couple in the caravan were working for SOWERS part-time, they had just bought a new 38' 5er and Ford diesel pickup. They now full-time working for SOWERS and as far as I know have the same rig. He never mentioned lack of room for tools.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

TCW is right, Habitat generally has a well stocked tool trailer onsite.   Lots of Dewalt tools.  Re taking your own, I'm iffy on that one.  There are those who have no business on a tablesaw or chopsaw gauging by the unhappy noises coming from the respective saws.  Your tools will get  borrowed but not replaced.  Your chisels will look like combs if others get hold of them.  Label or mark all your tools and try to keep them in site.

I'd take only personal hand tools in a service tote and maybe a combo drill driver set.  Some of the various elements of construction are subbed out depending on location.

Menonite Disaster Services also has well stocked tool trailers.  They will probably be down in the Gulf area setting up shop.

Look them up online or the other division is Mennonite Central Committee.

Look up RVNomads, they are a going concern with builds all over the USA.  I'll sign on with them on my next trip South.

I worked with Nomads for years and all you really needed was basic hand tools, a good battery operated drill, etc. The site generally provided heavy duty tools like table saws. You could never have too many tools but didn't have to have them. You certainly didn't need a toy hauler. I don't think any leader ever had one! The sites adapted their needs to what expertise came on site and what tools they had. Expertise was always important.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Thank-you for the replies. 

So I'm thinking about your comments, remembering my time serving with Samaritan's Purse, Habitat, the local pregnancy ministry, etc.  I surveyed my tool assortment and started thinking the garage was overkill.  Spent two days at the RV show in Hershey (I live 80 miles away) going to seminars and touring 5ers.  We saw no THs that we'd like to live in full time, and so have scratched that idea.  We did see two Grand Design models (374TH & 375RES) and a Montana 3791RD with expanded storage options.  They would accommodate tools and some prepper supplies very nicely.  If anyone knows of any 5ers with abundant storage that I might find on the used market, please share.

Archived