Stick Built Shutdown Checklist

freestoneangler

For those who leave homes in cold weather parts of the country (where winter daytime temps are frequently below freezing), and do not have someone periodically checking or house sitting, what is your winterize checklist?  We're in southwest Montana and my list is currently as follows:

- close and secure all crouch space vents using foam insulation blocks

- turn off well pump, flush toilets, open all faucets, and low point drain on well pressure tank

- add RV anti-freeze to all p-traps and toilets

- open all sink cabinet doors

- set the gas furnace to 58F

- set the gas water heater to vacation setting

- unplug all wall appliances (debating on the refer)

I should note that our home is a rambler that has good thermal efficiency.  The forced air propane gas furnace is located in the crouch space which, even during our coldest night last year -25F, remained above freezing (42F).

Love to hear other tips and recommendations. 

We live in a manufactured home on the eastern side of Washington State.  We have a plumber come out to winterize the house.  He turns off the water to the house, drains the water heater, blows out all the water lines and puts RV antifreeze down all drains and toilets.

Additionally, we unplug everything from the outlets, including the refrigerator (the only appliances we don't unplug are the stove and dishwasher).  We clean out the refrigerators and leave the doors open.  We don't leave the heat on.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

We are in Minnesota...mostly below freezing for 3-4 months.

10 year Lithium Ion batteries in thermostat and Simplisafe security system.

Furnace at 58. (Well insulated, my gas bill is $45 monthx12).

Fridge emptied, cleaned, unplugged, doors open. (Don't Change settings...unplug instead.)

Simplisafe monitors temp and security. Smartphone app shows temp inside and status. $25 month.

Neighbor brings mail into garage daily.

Townhome=HOA takes care of snow removal, trees, etc. (Ltd outside maintenance.)

Unplug TVs, toaster, etc. 

Turn off hot water heater.

Shut off city water inside.

Switched newspaper to digital so no deliveries.

Lockbox on front door for emergencies and service personnel. (We can turn off alarm from smart phone.)

Phone # posted on front door. (cell).

Cancelled land line and DSL, everything is mobile now.

Clean! (Come home to a clean house. Reduces chance of rodents. We take all foodstuffs with us in the RV.)

Bring patio furniture into garage.

Drain garden hose, drain outside line, shut off, put faucet cozy on outside spigot. ($3 at Home Depot).

US Mail is 99% junk. Everything is online now. 

1 hour ago, Kirk Wood said:

I think that I'd rather winterize a house than to prepare it for a hurricane of flooding! 

Amen

For the mobile Home we also turn the water off before the suface and check Heat tape.

We have an adjustable Freeze Guard to turn on a colored light in a front window set at 45 degree to back up the heat. We do not drain the water lines so we depend a little on certain drive by's .

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Sold ours!  No issues! :)

Happy Trails,

Jim & Ginger/Nomad Hikers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

VanLeigh Vilano/Ford F350

Blog site - https://www.trailer2trail.com/

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=trailer2trail

I'm more worried about 2 legged rodents than four legged ones.

Lockbox on front door for emergencies and service personnel. (We can turn off alarm from smart phone.)

Phone # posted on front door. (cell).

These two confuse me. They both look like advertisements for rodents to me. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

When we leave all the water is drained and the lines are blown out, rv antifreeze in all drains, washing machine and dish washer. All breakers are shut off except for our electric furnace and that's set at 45'. All food and important documents come with us. Let our friends know we will be gone take one last look around and leave, its worked for use for 11 years and in 10 days will start the 12 th year. We've been gone for as long as 11 months and the shortest has been 6 with month long trips in the summer but we don't winterize in the summer. 

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

Archived