marker lights and tail lights

runaway parents

As long as the original lights have reflective lens, it would not matter if my add-ons had them or not. I would hope they were on while driving and refection would not matter. There are plain  reflectors available that would answer the problem of corner marking.

I used those same truck-lite diagrams posted above laying out the lights for the bed/box my Topkick.  It is sort of a hybrid between a tractor and a "body truck" by their diagrams, and also used a bunch bobtail.  So in the interest of covering all my bases, and because the lighting standards are for safety and not just to annoy folks like us, I made sure my lighting and conspicuity covered all requirements of both vehicle types.  And there was also a period of time when the truck was registered and used commercially so I didn't want to argue with a LEO on the roadside over which lighting I was required to have on the truck.

I personally lean towards the "body truck" lighting, particularly on the rear.  When you think about it, those narrowly spaced brake/turn/tail lights on a tractor are only safe because it is almost always under a trailer and you don't see them anyway.  You want the spacing of the rear lighting and side markers to represent the true dimensions of the truck and be at the widest possible spacing.  Think about it.  A vehicle is overtaking you from the rear at night, possibly in snow, fog, or other adverse conditions, or just not paying attention.  At a glance the narrowly spaced lights look like a smaller vehicle much farther away (particularly to a driver like myself with limited depth perception).  You also have about 3' of unlighted vehicle hanging outside the rear markers, again easy for an overtaking or passing driver to misjudge the width of your vehicle due to the above conditions, and either cause a accident or make a last second swerve to correct.  In the interest of safety, really no excuse for not having the widest possible spacing on that rear lighting when you build it.

15 hours ago, Sehc said:

As long as the original lights have reflective lens, it would not matter if my add-ons had them or not. I would hope they were on while driving and refection would not matter. There are plain  reflectors available that would answer the problem of corner marking.

The light I used have reflectors and I added reflective tape.....$11.00 for 10pcs ....thinking commercial transport uses the tape for a reason.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DT18PC?psc=1

2011 Cameo 34SB3

That tape is pretty amazing.  It will hold up for many years.  I have a grain trailer I bought new  in 2001, And the tape is now starting to peel.  It's spent less than 2 months inside in all that time.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Another company to take a look at (all made in the USA) is Peterson Lighting (www.pmlights.com). If you want to have the reflectors in the lens, look for lights labeled as "reflex". They will have the correct amount of area to qualify as a reflector and the light that is required.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Archived