610 w/N14that it sounds like a sticking injector. Cummins won't start

JPL

I had a problem with the clutch fan engaged all the time. Cummins ck'd and said it was the ECM and the only fix was a new ECM($3600). So I pulled it and sent it to DSO Industrial to have it rebuilt. They confirmed that there was a issue IRT the clutch fan and corrected it. I had them up the HP while they had it. When I got it back I installed it. Did the startup sequence and when it started it was very loud, black smoke poured out (truck never smoked before) and the rpm's were going up and I had no control with the throttle.After less than a minute I turned it off. Waited 10 minutes and tried again. It wouldn't start' Never got it to restart. Pulled the ECM off after talking to DSO and sent it back to recheck. The fuel filter level went up 2". That was the only thing I could see that changed. I've never had a starting issue before. When I get the FCM back and if it doesn't start I'll have to get it towed to the shop. I've been told that it sounds like a stuck injector. 

Anybody got any ideas?   Pat

The Old Sailor

If you hear hoofbeats, it could be a Zebra, but it is probably a horse. I would let DSO reset to the original parameters, you don't need the power in our application anyway, and hope that it starts and runs fine. Your problems started with their modification. If their program damaged something all bets are off. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Your original clutch fan problem could have been just a bad solenoid to the fan clutch. Not familiar with the Cummins but that was the problem with my Volvo.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

All is well! It turned out to be the ECM. It was redone at DSO and reinstalled and it fired right off and is running fine. Road tested for 20 miles but will be making a Labor Day trip to ck on things. Leave on the 20th of Sept for a western run to the hot Air Baloon Fest In Abq. and points west. Looks like 60 days and 5600 miles. That will give us visited every state on and south of 40. North East next year? Ready to hit the road.      Pat

The Old Sailor

Archived