Inverter questions

chevy3500

Well apparently my inverter doesn't like coffee makers.  Had put a new coffee maker  in truck last year and during a trip west it burnt up (strong smell of electrical burn) got it unplugged before any problems other than it would not work. Thought maybe it was just a fluke. Well this summer I replaced with the same coffee maker, and this weekend while preparing for our annual trip west I plugged it in for the first time, and turned inverter on an almost immediately started to smell the same odor. Unplugged and took it into house and it worked fine. Microwave works fine as does a fan we use. Not sure where to start looking for the issue. Any thoughts?

Inverter is a Xantrex 458  model 81-2010-12 MSW

I had the same thing happen to a 12 cup Mister coffee with all the bells and whistles.  I went thru 2 of them before I realized it was the MSW invertor (which Walmart gladly refunded my money).  I bought the cheapest 12 cup coffee maker they had and it works fine on the invertor.  So now I make the coffee in this maker and then when its done brewing I pour it into a thermal pot so I can turn off the maker with the heating plate.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

56 minutes ago, dennisvr said:

I had the same thing happen to a 12 cup Mister coffee with all the bells and whistles.  I went thru 2 of them before I realized it was the MSW invertor (which Walmart gladly refunded my money).  I bought the cheapest 12 cup coffee maker they had and it works fine on the invertor.  So now I make the coffee in this maker and then when its done brewing I pour it into a thermal pot so I can turn off the maker with the heating plate.

Thanks! I will probably try that route. The maker  we had was nice because it brewed right into the thermal carafe(sp?) which had  a rubber seal on top to make it just about spill proof while brewing and rolling down the road, which was another problem we had with the original one I put in there

I had that same inverter installed two RV's ago. It never burned up my coffee pot as it's still currently in use.....It did however require an extra scoop to make the same strength coffee as the house. We now use a Magnum PSW inverter and it takes the same amount of scoops as the house. Thought that was kind of strange......

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Not only coffee makers.... burned up three electric blankets (sunbeam) and they were not even turned on - just plugged in!

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Many of the newer coffee makers (an other appliances) no longer use brute force heating elements with simple timers or thermostats.  B&D has several models that use DC pulse wave modulation to control the heating element(s).  The internal circuits that convert AC to DC rely on the peak-to-peak voltage found in a pure sine wave and cannot properly interpret the modified since wave.  Current in these circuits will increase with a MSW, the wrong components get hot and then all the smoke comes out.  With no smoke inside the resistors and IC's they stop working.  I have never been able to put the smoke back in.:rolleyes:.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

23 hours ago, noteven said:

I control the heat unner the coffee pot by adjusting the burner on the profane stove.  They have lectric ones now? :o

14 hours ago, Mntom said:

Geez, you are gittin to sound just like an old hillbilly I used to work for. Ted called it the exact same thing.......

Grandparents from Norway and MN USA ... so we also warsh things and enjoy visiting Warshington state tooo. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived