D11 vs. D13, enough or more power?

TheLongWayHome

Putting the "Tim the Toolman Taylor" philosophy aside - "MORE POWER arrh, arrrh, arrrrrrh"

How much engine (HP and ft/lb) do you really need to pull a large 5th wheel up and down the Colorado mountains or even Dollytrolley's favorite Davis Grade? For example comparing a 2018 Volvo D11 425HP, 1550ft/lb which is designed to haul a 80,000 trailer Vs. a D13 455HP, 1850ft/lb which is designed to haul a 140,000# trailer. Incidentally, the D13 only runs 1550ft/lb in the top gear. D11 would be more efficient and cheaper!

Assumptions: 30,000# and 45ft RV, HDT singled ~180" WB, and automatic shift.

So what do you need to pull/stop the RV?  D11 OK, or do you really need a D13? Sage advice, opinions or quantified analysis!

My 14L Detroit is set at 425 hp. The ex dirt track racer in me want more but it tows my Teton with Smart on deck fine. Went to have it turned up and shop's software didn't work with my truck. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

To D13 or not to D13, that is the question! I went round and round with that myself. The D11 will certainly pull a 5th wheel just fine. 425hp and 1550lbs TQ is a shit ton of power that can pull almost twice the weight of what we all pull. It saves money at purchase as well as on fuel. The other good thing besides cost savings is it saves 365lbs off of your front axle which can be a good thing depending on how your truck is set up. 

That said the D13 is a more popular and you could say more proven motor and you (for what its worth) don't have to run it "maxed out". The 13 also has more retarding HP to help on those long down grades and the extra TQ will be nice at times going up those grades. The 13 will also most likely have a better resale value as well. 

In the end I went 13 even though I knew the 11 would have been fine. Better safe then sorry???

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

Chris nailed it. The biggest thing swaying to the 13 is the retarding hp and the torque in the non-top gears. In the mountains the torque is noticeable and useful. Not needed elsewhere. D11 is about 2K cheaper (off the top of my head).

For light hauling under 23K I think the 11 would be very nice. As a cheaper daily driver to compete with a super pickup it might be a very nice fit.  

You could put eco-torque in to help with fuel economy if that is a consideration. Or if REALLY squeezing things then put in Dual torque. I would not, because it limits you, but it is an option.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Also, the higher torque rating of the eco-torque is available in the two top gears as well (on demand). When, I first got the truck with the 500/1650-1850 eco-torque I would put my foot into the throttle at the bottom of big hills but soon found out that leaving it in cruise and letting it sense the hill the 1850 torque was in effect and pulled better up the hill than putting it on the floor myself.

Archived