Generator noise

CMC5

5 hours ago, SuperHauler2000 said:

we have specific compartment for a generator but it is a portable 6500 watt Gen which vibrated too much for the boss lady so on the back of the truck it went, I do have to run the cord from the gen to the trailer hookup and have to go outside to turn it off but I hear nor feel any of the noise. also when we go somewhere with the truck we run everything off the inverter until we get back, so for me its a win win with the gen on the truck. Oh yeah we do attach a lock around the cords to keep them from being stolen (a must).

Interesting, you don't hear the 6500 watt generator while sitting outside???  Or are you saying with the generator in the back of the truck, you are in the trailer with the A/C and the TV on, you don't hear the generator, but the neighbors are cussing you out? 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Generator noise is one of my pet peeves, my generator or someone else's.  That being said, I considered the big 12Kw Onan diesel for mounting on the truck.  Then I got to the price tag and started looking for options.  Found this Generac unit at about 1/3 the Onan cost, intended for off the grid cabins. Generac claims a 52db at 7 meters noise level.  For comparison, Honda suitcase units are 59db.   This Generac runs on propane and has a 500hr oil drain interval on synthetic.   With propane fuel, I have let it sit for a year or more, hook up propane, hit the start button, and it lights and runs perfect.  A sequence I have tested a couple times not really expecting those results.

The Generac I set up to provide two 25amp legs (got a 240V cloths drier) so it will run both a/c units and have spare capacity.  The two times I have used it in the last 5 years, it was just to charge the batteries.  With that load, it uses about a gallon of propane an hr. 

I set up the upper deck to hold two 100lb propane tanks (the white pizza pans near the bottom of the stacks in the pic) to be lifted by the motorcycle / propane crane.  The crane has never been used, no motorcycle yet and 20lb tanks work fine.

Generac.jpg

2009 Volvo 780 D16 535hp 1850 ft-lbs I shift 3.36

Thermo King Tripac APU

DIY Bed and Frame Extension

ET Hitch, Stellar EC2000, EcoGen 6K

2002 F350 CC Dually w/ Lance 1181

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

" The only place you will find success before work is the dictionary "

Truck 100K.jpg

Mastercraft, nice set up.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.