Phoenix to I10 via US 70

SWharton

Has anyone taken US 60 to US 70 to AZ191 to I10?

We are leaving Phoenix to head to Houston next week and are thinking of taking the backroads to get to I10 near Luzena. Is this an OK route, especially in winter.................

Would it be significantly longer in time?

Thanks

While it has been a few years, we have traveled that route and I recommend it. It has some lonely stretches but is scenic and interesting. You should take some time and see the sites along the way as well. Just before you get to Superior is Boyce-Thompson Arboretum. At Globe there are several things worth seeing, especially Besh Ba Gowah site.

The route does have some steep places but nothing too challenging. If you are in a hurry, the probably not a good choice but if you want to slow down and see some new territory and interesting sites, it is a great choice of route.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

With the highway 60 reroute, the turn to the Arboretum is not as well marked and easy to miss. It is in the 40mph construction zone.

We have taken the US60/US70 east to west a couple times and liked it. We have not taken AZ191, since US70 does connect to I-10 in Lordsburg NM.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

• 3 weeks later...

We took this route last week and it worked out well. Much better than I10. Lots of small spots to pull over for a break and lunch, not much traffic, a bit curvy in spots but nothing challenging. FYI-tunnel height is 13' 6". We are going to try this when we go to Phoenix via I10 in November but start at Lordsburg.

Thanks everyone.

Archived