Diff lock

Oldnavywife

You may be describing what you're asking incorrectly. Are you asking about an "inter-axle" lock (often refered to as a diff lock in ads), or a differential lock? Inter-axle locks the driveshafts together, differential locks the axles of opposing (left to right) wheels together.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

I do not have a diff lock on my 2014 volvo so I don' t know of the advantage. I came singled from the factory so can I add a diff lock very easy?

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

If the truck has tandem axles, you will generally have some sort of inter axle lock. Differential lock is a different thing altogether.

The short answer is, if you are going to be operating in non paved and questionable traction environments, diff lock is very desirable.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

I have had my share of sliding on wet grass and bogging town in relatively little mud. We visit several parks that have large hardy lawns for pads. Very pretty till a week of rain sets in and you realize that the soil under the lawn is an absorbent clay that is turning into a mud bog. Does anyone have a ball park estimate of what the cost of adding a locking differential to a Volvo 730/780 might be?

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

I am seeing/budgeting about $2k for a used rear end, right side axle with the longer splines, and fluids. This thread discusses it a bit more:

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=125361

2004 Volvo 630, Cummins ISX, Eaton 10 speed (air assist clutch), 3.71 3.07 rear locker, ET jr, 200" WB, GearMaster

2017 Forest River Sierra 372LOK

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

Archived