Help Me Spend My Money

sdixon747

Chris, the propane issue is a valid point. Steve can speak for himself, but personally, I'd not want to stress the battery bank to the extent that drying on electrical would. That is a LOT of power and the tradeoffs for the gas vs. electric would lead me to the gas. The dryer does not take all that much propane. The propane is already on-board in the form of 4x20 lb bottles for the Truma continuous hot water, and for the cooktop/oven. That would be my logic in doing it that way.

Yes, the bank is rewired to 48 volts. The Magnum inverters have charge profiles that work on them. Or if using shore power his 120 volt charger will (in the future) charge them. 

Chris, the gensets are the same size(10 vs 12), but vary in fuel consumption between the 10/12. These are 240 volt output.
image.png.2874e22e2435218ec0603098aba5924a.png

image.png.3b35c32dd1d403b77ef452670d4ffc08.png

And here is the  8,000 (RV, since there is no commercial 8Kw)

image.png.d43fdbf7bcedc83df2782b7d27ca44fe.png

The 8 is likely the better choice for most people that are not going to be at high elevations and don't need the 240 volt output. But it depends on what your expected loads are.

BTW - your coach is killer.....I cannot wait to see it finished.  (I don't know why the residue below....the editor will not let me delete them...)

image.png

image.png

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I been reading and studying lithium since my last post. Understand the charging now. Actually simpler. I wonder why Steve chose 230V mini splits instead of 48V. The 48V are more costly but more efficient. And the money diff in his case, not an issue. He also is wired for 48V. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

It's 1 complete Chevy Volt battery divided into 3 48v sections.

There are a total of 8 2kWh sections at 48V, totaling 16kWh (of which ~12kWh is usable).

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Thanks. This really got me thinking. I always spend way too much when this happens. I see 2 kwh on eBay for 200ish dollars. Out of 2012 Volts. Would these be worth getting or look for newer?

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Archived