Volvo Engine Problem

redcrzr

1999 Gen 1--Left Hutch today headed for Chanute. Cruising at 65 mph and suddenly the cruise drops out, speedometer and odometer drop out and we are down to a maximum of 1500 RPM's. Seemed like a little "miss" in engine occasionally. Being out in the middle of no where we continued into Chanute at 55 MPH. We have the D12 Volvo engine and had some engine work done a couple thousand miles ago. New head and 2 pistons. I've also had the center dash replaced, which gave me back signal light issues and odometer. Not so sure any of this is related. No smoke from engine.

I plan to call a local Ford garage on Monday morning, they advertise HDT repair.

Anything you guys might suggest that I look for?

I am on limited WIFI and will check back in on Monday. HELP

Todd E.

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Hey Todd

Heard you honk as you left.

Best I can do is give you this link - Volvo Service Dealers

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Todd,

What have you learned?

We passed just south of you today on our way to Arkansas.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

If it's "Stumbling" it may be fuel. Camshaft sensor can do that as well. It will depower the engine. If all else fails, pull the battery cables off, let it sit for a few minutes, hook back up and see if it comes back to life.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Hi Todd E. Need more information...... Any codes..?? Is oil pressure normal..?? Are ALL gages readings normal, even dash lights, turn,,?? When driving, and you let off of the throttle....does your retarder brake (Jake) come on,.. even though it is turned off..? Long shot, but.....maybe a loose plug-in on the back of the dash....?? OU812

Some answers. Gauges all looked normal, except the speedo & odometer. Retarder never engaged. Shop did the fuel filter change and we still had little power. They tell me it's a boost system leak & have parts coming on Tues. Hoping that's the cure. Volvo engine parts are "special".

Thanks for your input.

I'll let you know how we do.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Boost system leak?? OK, they should know if they work on HDT engines. But what doesn't add in to the diagnosis in my humble brain is the loss of your speedo and odometer. While they are a product of sensors and the EECM what do they have to do with boost pressure? Just me, but I would be doing some electrical troubleshooting with connections and wiring even if I did not have PID codes showing up. Good luck and I hope you are rolling again soon. Stories like yours always make my worry warts grow a little bigger.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Did they find a physical leak? If they got a low boost pressure code, it is commonly known that a boost pressure sensor failure from excess EGR coking will give symptoms similar to what you are experiencing. Also common for Cummins engines for the broader audience.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Thanks, all. They did find leak in gaskets on pipe on the lower part of engine. I, too don't see any connection to the speedo issue. They are checking some of the electric. I had that section of dash replaced about a year ago,

Parts due in today.

Chief, I'm in the RV park, right across from the Ford garage where my truck is. Gray Cyclone, cold beer.

Todd

Chief, I'm in the RV park, right across from the Ford garage where my truck is. Gray Cyclone, cold beer.

Mmmmm cold beer! I work until 5:30, I'll swing by and see if you are still around.

1999 Volvo VNL610, Cummins M11 - 350/400 HP, 10 speed Rockwell - 'CHIEF'

Custom flatbed with TrailerSaver air hitch.

3 cyl 8000 watt Kubota diesel generator.

New Mexico April 2019.jpg

Excessive boost leak around the lower charge air cooler connections on passenger side. Rust on flange connections. Cleaned up rust, new o-rings & clamps. Building good boost & making 2100 RPM.

Speedometer issue was broken wires on speed sensor from getting into drive line. Repaired wires & new pigtail.

No one will believe, or more correctly, explain how the two issues could possibly happen simultaneously.

We are again ready to rock on.

Great service from Jake & crew at Merle Kelly Ford in Chanute KS.

Todd

Also glad to hear they got it fixed for you. Safe travels!

Cathy and Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Archived