Oops - Pine Sol as exterior wash

twink207

My 2002 Montana Mountaineer, has gotten really green over the summer, so I hired someone to attack the mildew and wash it down. I was working a mile away, came back and found he had used PINE SOL rather than the Maquires! It cleaned up pretty well, but it looks kind of flat and dull. I am guessing it removed any wax on it? So, I am sure Pine Sol is great on lots of things, but cars and RVs, not so much? I am not sure what to do now. Rewash it with Maquires or just reapply wax and boy, I was not planning on that job at all! If I have to wax it now, what kind of wax is best? And what is not best but easier and "good enough" (if there's such a thing)?

Welcome to the Escapee forums! Good to have you here and we are happy to help if we are able.

I have never heard of using Pine-sol on an RV, but since it is done the issue now is recovery. Hopefully it wasn't used on the roof, if that happens to be EDPM as I know that it can damage the membrane if too strong. I'd suspect that you are correct that it removed any wax and if it were mine I would do at least a light wash with my favorite cleaner and Meguiar's should be fine for that. I have used automotive cleaners on our RVs at times and they do seem to work pretty well Meguiar's also make a boat/RV wax that I have heard good reports on, but I have always preferred to use the Gel-Gloss products on fiberglass side walls.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

PineSol can leave a bit of oil behind, whatever you wash with should be a good grease cutter.

Any good concentrated car wash soap should do a good job of getting the outside ready for waxing, I don't really have a favorite.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Some of the guys at our marina used Nu Finish. http://www.nufinish.com/products/car-polish

I noticed that in the spring when I had taken lots of time to spruce up the boat, it only took a couple of weeks to oxidize back to a dull finish. My 2 preferred products became Simple Green for the black streaks, (also strips the old wax) and then Nu Finish.

I don't like silicone as it is so hard to get rid of and bad for footing. I don't know what's in Nu Finish but never noticed a silicone slip to the deck of the boat.

It "seems" to last a lot longer than wax. 2 coats don't seem to be much better than 1 coat, and the stuff is a Lot easier to apply/buff than wax is also.

One man's opinion.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

I've been using "Meguiar's G3626 Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere Spray" on our truck since it was brand new.

This stuff is quite amazing and will lift dirt and leave a great shine with very little effort.

No water required - but it can take a dozen polishing cloths to do a big truck. Same for the camper.

It might be worth your while to try it. Most Walmarts carry it as does Amazon.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Thanks everyone. We waxed the RV with Maguiars and got a bit of shine, but not much. Further reading leads me to think the finish has ozidized and really could use a speed buffer. I am thinking about it. Meanwhile I am going back to a little spot of rot in the LR slide from a leak above a window before I put down a new vinyl floor.

Many people, myself included have used Zif wet look floor finish on the fiberglass after a THOROUGH clean, one that strips all the old wax and road oil. TSP or TSP substitute works well to strip the surface. It's just a matter then of applying 5 or 6 coats of the floor finish with a microfiber cloth for a lasting (a few years) shine. It is easy to remove and reapply when necessary with Zif stripper. By far the easiest method I've found for regaining a like new shine that lasts.

In 2011, I redid my end caps on my 1999 King of the Road. There was a whole process that resulted inl these photos:

https://goo.gl/photos/gQvDzxmxfw12ixtdA

Since then, it has held up quite well and still comes back pretty good with a little wash off with Simple Green.

I am waiting until I get somewhere I can spend some days working short hours to do it all over again but do the sides, too.

I found the magic eraser sponges to be really great at helping to clear the residue and cast-off from the surface.

The key with using the acrylics like ZIF is to be sure you get everything off before you put the first coat on because whatever is still there will stay there forever or until you strip it off.

The easiest part of the application is just using a small quantity of the zif in a shallow container like a Ziploc sliced meat storage container, a folded part of a microfiber cloth and wring out the excess before each pass on the RV surface. Drips remain drips so avoid them during application.

Wait between coats until it is no longer tacky. and be sure nothing has landed on it between coats and it will come out great.

The stripper will easily take it all off but not much else will bother it. Here are some links for further information. People with tiny fiberglass trailers like a Bambi love this stuff.

https://www.google.com/search?q=red+maxx+pro+fiberglass+trailers&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS716US716&oq=red+maxx+pro+fiberglass+trailers&aqs=chrome..69i57.17997j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Archived