Windows 10 Anniversary update issues

docj

My Dell laptop just went through the AU. I had a few qualms because it is configured with an SSD/HDD pair and there had been issues with some of these a few months ago. But everything seems to have gone smoothly with the exception of a small glitch with my touchpad, specifically with my ability to do two-finger scrolling. I don't use many "gestures" but that's one feature I do enjoy. Ever since the update the scrolling will work fine after a reboot but will slowly degrade with time ~30 minutes) until it stops working at all. It affects both Chrome and Outlook so I know it isn't a browser-specific issue.

Computer issues like this are always maddening to diagnose; IMO it's much easier if something doesn't work at all. Most likely the driver is at fault, but these Dells use the Windows 10 driver rather than one from the touchpad manufacturer. So even the Dell website is of no help. What I find fascinating is that the loss of the scrolling slowly appears across the tabs I have open in the browser, in other words they don't lose the scrolling ability all at once. The process has been consistent over a number of reboots during the course of the afternoon. After a reboot everything works just fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Joel,

Ronbo on another thread about pool header issues gave a website that I tried after checking them out six ways from Sunday. it is here: https://www.slimwareutilities.com/slimdrivers.php and called Slimdrivers. It is the only driver scanner that not only scans but installs. My Dell XPS One using Dell update and online search for new drivers came up as 100% up to date. When I ran slimdrivers it found 18. I started at the top, and yes took a lot more time by letting it set a restore point 18 times and restarting 9 times. See they combine several some of the time.

My impression is that it is really a good well done free utility that works. I had one incident where the program said I did not have the minimum requirements for one driver, and it did not load which could have been disastrous. Another driver said it was an older one than I had on my systems and I chose to keep my newer one.

It did load a paid trial non functional version of their version of a CCleaner like program and I declined. No biggie. You can try it but as usual YMMV.

I had to roll back to the version before the Anniversary edition because of the system button in start, Edge browser, and several other apps not working and just coming up on their splash screen then disappearing. The roll back cured all but the Mail app, but I use Outlook anyway so no biggie. It still won't work in the rollback but that is all, the rest are fine. I called Microsoft Tech support by phone to rollback and they took remote control and we got it done in a half hour. I had already done all the PowerShell uninstall reinstall using the admin version but no avail. I now have all but the default mail program working fine again and rechecked in advanced Windows updates to defer all but security updates.

Your call but if you read the reviews for slimdrivers on PC mag etc. they get great reviews.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV:

Thanks for the info. I downloaded it and ran a scan and it found 18 driver issues on my laptop. Unfortunately, none of them directly relate to the touchpad. Of course, one of the other updates could affect it and it may be worthwhile to try them. For the moment I can live with the issue and maybe a future Windows update will resolve the problem.

Joel

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

For me, the only real change was in the preview windows on FB and Google+ for videos. They now come up all dark and pixelated and it may take several seconds before the video that is playing in the window starts to be recognizable.

One other problem is that I can no longer setup my Filtrete 3M radiothermostat from Windows. Prior to the update, I could still access it to do the initial setup by running Lizard Systems Wifi Scanner. Now, even that tool won't connect to the thermostat. That is the most aggrivating glitch I have seen.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

For me, the only real change was in the preview windows on FB and Google+ for videos. They now come up all dark and pixelated and it may take several seconds before the video that is playing in the window starts to be recognizable.

I don't do Facebook nor Google but I do watch a lot of video reports and I have not seen that problem.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

• 2 weeks later...

There was a new update for the Anniversary edition of Windows that came out over the weekend. Did that fix anyone's issues? It did not seem to do anything to my other 8 Windows systems running the anniversary update with no problems. If it addressed the apps not working then I can try it again on my main systems that I reverted to pre anniversary.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I uninstalled whatever Win 10 managed to install on my Dell LT yesterday as it dutifully wiped out all cookies which mean that I've had to re-enter them again for this site and many many others, it became pathetically slow, it locked up g-mail every time I used it, I am still getting a "your not connected to a network" message when using a wired connection but no issues with wifi and on & on & on. This version is absolutely the worst experience I've had in 25 yrs of using pcs. Can't count the # of times I've had to rearrange my icons after doing so and then having the screen blink, go blank them come back on with a different icon arrangement. :angry:

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

Archived