Hail Storm Damage

Ron & Linda R

We have our insurance with Good Sam through National General Assurance Company. We got hit by the big hail storm in Colorado Springs on July 28 2016.

So many here did that repair appointments are really backed up. Camping World gave us an October 18th appointment and told us to just cover the hole in the roof where the shower skylight use to be.

Our insurance agent put us in touch with an alternate choice and also sent out an insurance adjuster who just made his report and took pictures of our damage last night.

Now we wait for that report to be received by the insurance company and sent to the RV repair shop they supplied for us over waiting for Camping World's October appointment.

It sounds like from our agent now someone or group of people at the insurance company will decide how much they will pay and then just send us a check.

The roof did take a beating from the large hail so the rubber roof is in bad need of repair. I assume there also has to be an inspection of the roof under the rubber to determine if there is any damage there so that yet has to be determined.

My question here is if anyone has ever had to deal with the insurance company for Hail Storm damage and how did it go?

We didn't but we have friends who had insurance with Progressive and after a South Dakota hail storm the insurance paid for a new roof and a new skylight, less the deductible. That has been several years ago now.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The roof under the rubber will be inspected by the body shop once they are able to see it in the process of repair. If they find a problem, they will contact your adjuster for an addition to your repair and/or total replacement of the underlayment as well. They should be replacing the rubber, skylights , any covers that are damaged etc minus whatever deductible you chose when you started your policy. The insurance adjusters do reply a lot on the body shops to bring any additional damage finding to their attention. I would much rather have a body shop working on our motorhome that camping world.

Pat DeJong

What Pat said. Our first 5er had a lot of hail damage. The ins. company said the aluminum siding and roof had to be replaced, plus skylights, vent covers, vent caps, etc. When we got it back everything had been replaced + the we now had an EPDM roof! I called ins. and they said the EPDM roof was less money than replacing the aluminum roof, so they had a "deck-over" EPDM added, after obtaining our agreement. which really increased roof insulation ability and made heating/cooling much easier.

Point is, the repair shop will converse with ins. co., and ins. company will either increase claim paid amount or do a substitution.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Interesting topic, and timely, as we were within a few miles of hardball to grapefruit sized hail in our travels since May.

We're coming up on renewal time, and I'll work with our broker to ensure I understand the specifics of hail damage coverage.

We have a one piece fiberglass roof. We've added BusKote to this roof. We've covered the skylight dome with solar panels, so it's protected. I really need to be sure I understand just what is, or is not, covered in our policy. And for things that may not be, what kind of added riders may be available to do so...

Currently with Blue Sky. Had a 18-24" bolder roll down the side of a hill at a pull out (Stopped for lunch) and damaged our lower right front chin when it stopped. Just missed damaging the steps. I was less then pleased with my experience with the adjuster, and later the underwriter, as we worked our way thru the claims process. Did not want to cover removing the 3M film and replacing it from the area of damage. Also authorized repair of the damaged fiberglass without adding reinforcement. (The body shop I was working with, showed me what they would cover, vs what they recommended. I went ahead and told them to do it the right way, and authorized the extra $185 to cover this.) Yeah, Blue Sky covered just what their legalize said they would. But after about the third call with the underwriter, I did get him to agree that though legal, it is not what he would have wanted if it was his coach:)! I sent the company an email with my input as a customer, and we'll see what kind of coverage and wording is included in this years quote. My broker will also keep an eye on this with me, and we'll need to add this to our comparisons for the upcoming policy. Do have the diminishing deductible, which I like, but also had two years of premium increases, so sure seems like that diminishing deductible is offset somewhat by higher premiums:)!)

Hope your repair comes out good, travel safe,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

As in all insurance repairs, once the body shop begins the repair if additional work is found to be needed they will submit a supplemental to the insurance company for approval and payment.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Archived