Water infiltration into a "tilted" Class A

johnschnee

We ran into a bit of a "situation" this past weekend that has us a bit flustered & concerned: we arrived in our 2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K at a campground here in Central PA on Friday and were assigned a spot that was a good bit un-level - leaning to the passenger side front a god bit. We were able to set up fine, but experienced a real "gully washer" rainstorm on Saturday afternoon, which, of course, was when we were packing up to leave! All was fine until I'd closed up the slides & retracted the stabilizer jacks, which returned the coach to it's original "un-level" state, at which time Sweetie-pie noticed we had water dripping from one of the ceiling lights directly above the passenger's seat! We've NEVER had any issues with water infiltration before, but are wondering if the retraction of the driver's-side slide (which seems to always hold quite a bit of rainwater) followed by the retraction of the jacks (which put us back into a tilt towards the passenger side & the front) may somehow be responsible?

We may have gotten just less than a 1/4" cup of water through the ceiling around the light, but I've always been of the opinion that ZERO rain infiltration is BEST!

If anyone has any experience with this sort of problem and has any suggestions as to how to remedy/mitigate we'd be VERY grateful!

I wouldn't think the slide had anything to do with your 'leak' . The coach 'enclosure' is sealed . Then the slide seals are applied . There shouldn't be any way for water to get into the ceiling from the slide topper unless there are through screws loose or missing .

I'd be checking the front AC for tightness to the roof and whether that ACs tray drain holes are clear .

Goes around , comes around .

I wouldn't think the slide had anything to do with your 'leak' . The coach 'enclosure' is sealed . Then the slide seals are applied . There shouldn't be any way for water to get into the ceiling from the slide topper unless there are through screws loose or missing .

I'd be checking the front AC for tightness to the roof and whether that ACs tray drain holes are clear .

Yeah I agree as well. The slide is lower than the roof, otherwise it wouldn't slide back in. :)

More likely the angle caused some water pooling and leakage. Check the main roof not the slide. When was the last time the roof had a good going over?

A leak isn't the end of the world, unless you don't find and fix it.

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

More likely the angle caused some water pooling and leakage. Check the main roof not the slide. When was the last time the roof had a good going over?

Just what I was thinking as well. When the RV tilted what water was there then ran to the low side and exited through the hole the light is installed into. My suspicion is that the problem is in the caulking where the front cap joins the roof. Have you inspected/replaced the caulking on your roof? It should be done annually and replaced as needed.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks a bunch for the advice! I'll be inspecting the roofline tomorrow & will get it looked at by an expert it I see something I can't handle myself. BTW, we're in NC now & have experienced a good deal of rain over the last few days & not a drop has come inside the coach - of course, we are sitting level now! THANKS!!

Archived