Best way to remove bolts with lock tight ?

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I need to remove some more bolts from the cab of my truck. The bolts have a lot of thread locker on them. I now that heat works the best to get the bolts loose. What temperature is needed ? Can a propane touch give me enough heat ? Is there another way to get the bolts loose with out heat ? I am asking this question because of the rubber mat that is in the cab. The nuts are under the cab that holds the seat belts in place. I don't want to see a fire start or the mat melt because of the heat.

Open for ideas,

Al

In my experience , heat is the best and quickest way to deal with thread locker .

I don't use propane any more , in favor of MAPP gas . It comes in one pound bottles , just like propane . Use the same hardware as propane bottles . Costs a bit more , but you get a lot more heat in less time . Yellow bottles , generally sold right next to the blue propane bottles .

Direct from Locktite

For RED Locktite "For disassembly: Heat parts up to 482°F (250°C) and separate parts while hot."

for BLUE Locktite "Shear with hand tools"

But I have found a bit of heat helps blue too.

Thanks Imurphy for the info.

Knowing the temperature is going to be a big help. Nice knowing that you don't have to get the nut red hot. 500*F will work just fine. I can use my temperature gun to measurer how close to the temperature that I need.

Al

Hi Everyone,

Some news to report. With the help of my neighbor I was able to remove the last three bolts. I was under the cab with a propane touch and my neighbor was inside the cab. I kept heat on the nut till my neighbor could feel the head of the bolt heat up. He was using a ratchet to brake the bolts loose. We had a beaker bar handy, but it was not needed. I also had an infrared thermometer with me under the truck. It looked like the temperature measured was about 400*F. We also had a small bucket of water with a damp rag in the cab, just incase it was needed. Definitely a two man job.

Al

Archived