Brother considering a truck and trailer

rdickinson

This may be off topic but I'm starting it here, perhaps it may get move later. Anyhow, my brother has a 92 GMC or Chev diesel pickup, 4x4 regular cab. The truck is falling apart around him in spite of him doing regular service. Parts may become an issue but it is unreliable and broke down on his last trip. He has an older camper about a year or so older than the truck.

Both are on the block to be sold or?

I didn't think he was into RV ing but he and his wife are contemplating a truck and pull trailer. Not entirely sure of my facts here but to the best of my knowledge Pete is looking at a Toyota, 4x4, 6 cylinder pickup and a trailer about 25', no slideouts. The truck has a composit bed which he says prevents him from getting a 5th wheel hitch and would void the warranty.

Pete will due his due diligence and research as best he can....but sometimes no matter how much you research something, it doesn't work out. Example, machinery and tools, they just don't get used by staff for whatever reason and get shoved off to the side to gather dust.

Years ago, I had a 1989 4 cylinder straight 6 standard Jeep. It was bulletproof but was not adequate to pull my 4500 lb SeaRay plus trailer, motors and gear. The whole unit was undertrucked. Mileage without a load was under 20 mpg, loaded, can't recall but the tail was wagging the dog.

Travelling around with my rig I notice the black spots and burn patterns on the side of the road where an engine, transmission or a vehicle fire occurred.

So recommendations would be appreciated for

-size of truck,

-engine,

-whether a trailer with slidouts is a good idea or will it reduce chances for resale. He is concerned re weight.

-a decent brand of trailer

I've put together a list of 'stuff' he would probably carry, add to it if you find something missing. Not sure what is or is not included in the empty weight.

Surge protector to protect electronics, ie fridge

water pressure regulator

Water filter

hose

xtra hose

bucket

wash brush

trailer wash soap

sponge

30 amp cord

xtra 30 amp cord

electrical adapters

cable tv cable

landing gear pads

levelling pads

spare parts

sheets & bedding

towels & related stuff

dw/ soap, cloth, towel

dishes, pots, cutlery

toaster

small micro

cutlery, cooking utensils plus knives

basic tools

tv

first aid kit

food

manuals

outside chairs

spare tire, jack and wrench

sewer pipe plus xtra length of pipe.

clothes

Links have been provide to him as well as a suggestion he contact Stan.

Some here have gone the HDT or bigger rig route and have or are downsizing so the experience is here. Move it to a different forum if need be but I'd like it started here. Don't want brother making mistakes others have.

Thanks

I didn't think he was into RV ing but he and his wife are contemplating a truck and pull trailer. Not entirely sure of my facts here but to the best of my knowledge Pete is looking at a Toyota, 4x4, 6 cylinder pickup and a trailer about 25', no slideouts. The truck has a composit bed which he says prevents him from getting a 5th wheel hitch and would void the warranty.

Where'd he come up with this "void the warranty" thing? Look up the Magnum-Moss Warranty Act; basically, it says that a warrantor has to warrant their product unless they can specifically show that the aftermarket parts chosen and/or installation methods used did the damage to their product. It came about when auto manufacturers would try to void your warranty for using Jiffy Lube type places, but has broad-reaching benefits for the consumer.

That said, if the composite bed has a sticker that says "no drill, no cut, no modify", then yes, the warranty ON THE BED is void. However, the MMWA also says that ONLY the bed itself could have the warranty void...it does not extend to any other part unless the manufacturer can demonstrate that the work caused the damage.

Where'd he come up with this "void the warranty" thing? Look up the Magnum-Moss Warranty Act; basically, it says that a warrantor has to warrant their product unless they can specifically show that the aftermarket parts chosen and/or installation methods used did the damage to their product. It came about when auto manufacturers would try to void your warranty for using Jiffy Lube type places, but has broad-reaching benefits for the consumer.

That said, if the composite bed has a sticker that says "no drill, no cut, no modify", then yes, the warranty ON THE BED is void. However, the MMWA also says that ONLY the bed itself could have the warranty void...it does not extend to any other part unless the manufacturer can demonstrate that the work caused the damage.

Good points to consider Peety.

Drive on.........(Warranty is a BIG.....word)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

There are very few Toyota PUs being used on farms....reason? Too light. NO matter what the MFG claims are. That said, the Tundra is a nice capable platform for what it is. I'd say it depends more on the camper and where he goes than anything else...is he looking into one of those super light bumper pull units? Does he plan to do significant mountain driving with it? A Tundra would probably handle one of those just fine in generally flat terrain. (anything less than the Rockies).

I personally don't like slideouts. My wife loves the extra space. You know who's gonna win that one.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

...to the best of my knowledge Pete is looking at a Toyota, 4x4, 6 cylinder pickup and a trailer about 25', no slideouts...

What model truck is he looking at?

I took a quick look at the Tundra specs on the Toyota website and did not see a 4x4 model with a 6 cylinder engine. I also noted that the highest payload capacity was just slightly over 2,000# with some models as low as 1,600#.

The Tacoma is available with a 6 cylinder engine. The highest Max Towing I saw was 6,800# and I could not fine a payload capacity.

Many half ton trucks will go over their payload capacity and thus over their GVWR and or RAWR before they exceed their maximum tow rating or their GCWR.

This link may help him match a truck and trailer.

Our old neighbor has a Tundra and pulls what I think is about a 22 foot bumper pull . I'm sure they load to the gills .

Anyway , he's pulled that trailer or a 20 foot food service trailer ( think complete commercial kitchen with what ever it takes to serve a couple hundred people ) .

He's been doing that for at least 5 years , with no problems . They travel the eastern and southern US .

I just remembered that he also carries a 6 foot full sized grill that requires a winch and ramp . The ramp stores under the grill in the bed . All that stuff weights a lot .

I've helped him load it a time or two

Goes around , comes around .

I can't offer any input on the Toyota suitability BUT, I don't believe the Magunson Moss has any impact on Canadian trucks. Roger is from BC so I am guessing his brother is there as well?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Archived