Reclaiming Space

bmzero

With two kids, my wife, and myself all having two feet, we have a lot of shoes lying around. It drives me nuts for those shoes to sit beside the door. I think it's my OCD kicking in. I have been thinking for a few months about a good way to store these shoes.

After looking around the inside of the trailer, it finally hit me. The stairs were probably just big wasted space boxes stacked on top of each other. After pulling the central vacuum connection, I was able to verify the wasted space by shining a light into the cavity. That's all the proof I needed.

Out came the circular saw and I began cutting access panels into the steps. Getting the cut lines straight was tough since access is limited. The space realized is perfect for shoe storage, though.

704558e0-08fc-4c4b-8275-2d273a09b2af-s.j
I added some hinges.
2a40e819-ef25-449e-aa87-4767eccf2efc-s.j
Some tile.
0f767f14-f87a-40a5-b463-64dc95683b44-s.j
And some trim. The final step will be to putty up the finish nail holes and tidy things up a little. This is going to be a perfect solution to my shoe OCD'ness.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Looking for wasted space can be a fun project, you can get a spot like this that is handy for storage or you can find a spot that isn't obvious that can be used to store stuff you'd like to have available but not easily found.

On an older fiver we found a panel that was stapled in from behind, concealing several cubic feet of space. Replacing the staples with magnets gave us a handy spot to keep some spare cash and things like credit cards we didn't want to carry all the time.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Our 5er had that space under the steps. I planned to do as you did, but I never got aroundtuit.

Looks like you did an excellent job!

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived