Winch Wiring

Scrap

Scrap,

In a word, NO. We did not get to do the measurements. However, I used 2/0 cable for a run of about 8 ft and a 300 amp t fuse. My fuse in upper right in pic.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Here's the current data from Warn's 4000 Lb winch under the Specifications tab. If you're pulling a Smart up 12 foot ramps, we're looking at about 500 lb line pull drawing 40.7 amps. Blue Sea has a real easy to use chart to help select wire gauge. For a Smart car application, 2 or 4 AWG should be sufficient, depending upon length.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Here's the current data from Warn's 4000 Lb winch under the Specifications tab. If you're pulling a Smart up 12 foot ramps, we're looking at about 500 lb line pull drawing 40.7 amps. Blue Sea has a real easy to use chart to help select wire gauge. For a Smart car application, 2 or 4 AWG should be sufficient, depending upon length.

Wow, massive overkill on my part then!

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Wow, massive overkill on my part then!

Not really. It's just twice circular mills which halves the IR (voltage) drop, never a bad thing.

Herrin used a 2 ton on my rig which even with single pull was plenty, a bit jerky but still plenty. I've gone with a snatch block and double pull.

Roger, you may want to look at the ground return path. My bed had welded studs on the frame to connect the ground circuits. That's ok for lights, but for the winch I ran a cable back to the battery negative vs using the frame as a return path.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Roger, you may want to look at the ground return path. My bed had welded studs on the frame to connect the ground circuits. That's ok for lights, but for the winch I ran a cable back to the battery negative vs using the frame as a return path.

Hmm, something I might wanna look at also :mellow:

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

"Roger, you may want to look at the ground return path. My bed had welded studs on the frame to connect the ground circuits. That's ok for lights, but for the winch I ran a cable back to the battery negative vs using the frame as a return path."

I did the same, Jim, again with 2/0.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived