Diagnostic help needed

chevy3500

'2000 Kenworth T2000

When I keyed up the truck to start it I got this diagnostic code TRKBRK Diag2rly Short - V

About the only symptom noted was it acted a little sluggish on turning over, like the battery was down. Battery gauge did indicate slightly lower than normal, alternator was putting out about 13.5 volts. I also heard a buzzing type noise possibly coming from fuse box area or center of dash that I don't recall hearing previously. however my hearing isn't real good. Brakes seem to work fine. The only relay I could find in fuse panel was for the ABS, I switched it out with a similar relay, but no changes noted. I'm not sure if it the diagnostic warning would reset itself, or not, or if there's a sequence to reset. The diagnostic warning is where the odometer reading normally is on this truck. Up until this point it always read "No Error"

Any ideas?

Thanks!

You should be able to pull the codes. What engine do you have? Mine is a cat so don't know if it works on others but here is what you do. Turn key on, turn cruise switch to off, hold down set or resume switch for a few seconds. Check engine light should start to flash. It will be in 2 sequences. Count each flash, then there will be a slight pause and it will flash again. Example first flash 3, second flash 4 is code 34. If there are multiple codes stored there will be another pause and then another pair of flashes. If you get code 55, at least on my truck it means no errors. I get the same trkbrk on my display when I start mine to except mine says open circuit. It has done it sense I bought the truck. Did your truck start?

Thanks!

Cat 3406e for the engine. If I get a code how do I determine what it is? Is there a list somewhere? Truck did start and ran with no problems. Theres always been a "no error" previously, so this is why I think it's something new.

13.5 volts is a little low for the alternator. My Freightliner runs at 14.1 when charging. Low voltages will play havoc with everything electrical in a modern truck. Grounds are the next gremlin...

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Take a meter and check voltage at the alternator with engine running, then check voltage at the batteries also with it running. If there is a drop then you have cable issues, time to check and clean both positive and negative cable ends.

When I was having issues, it was cables that were corroded internally.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

UPDATE: Well I checked on the codes as tyates suggested, the good news, I got code 55 which means no motor issues! The trkbrk code still remains. Relay that I found checks out good. Alternator putting out 13.95 volts, at the jumper post which are at the back of the cab (front of bed) I'm getting 13.88 volts. I didn't check directly at the battery because you need to take the side fairing off and I had limited time. Truck started right up with no problem.

Does any one know of another position relay might be located?

Any one no how to clear code on the odometer?

Thanks

Archived