Anyone know about the wood inside a van body?

lappir

Pulling all the wood off the sides of the van body today in preparation to do some wiring and insulating. Wondering if it's part of the stabilization of the box? Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Rod, unless you see any other structure there, I would say it is part of the support structure for wall and roof.

Any metal studs there, and or cross bracing?

Is the support of the roof from some beams sitting on structure from the corners?

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Rod, unless you see any other structure there, I would say it is part of the support structure for wall and roof.

Any metal studs there, and or cross bracing?

Is the support of the roof from some beams sitting on structure from the corners?

Thanks for your reply Rocky, Rick responded to my question on Facebook saying when his box was new it had no wood on the walls. Encouraged me to put it back on to prevent holes being poked through the sides after I get the door put in. Guess I should be careful. How are things progressing for you?

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Sound like a plan Rod.

Hopefully, we hear back from Ins. Co. this week and it sounded like they are going to take care of us.

So we will be homeless for awhile, but we need to hit the road to get down the the RGV for a missions trip.

My knee is not really ready for it, but it will be a good workout. Still have 3 weeks before the trip.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

HI 1Rod What is the make...model of van body? Also on the out side... is it smooth fiberglass (FRP)....or metal ??? The roof...is it fiberglass..or metal..? The floor... wood or alumina....???? Are you going to put anything on the roof...air-condition or walk on.....???? OU812

Metal sides and roof. Hardwood floor. Uprights 24 in on center. I plan to put insulation in and cover it again. Mostly worried if I needed to keep a piece in place for stability during the working phase. Thanks for the replies, questions and comments.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

I used to get to repair aluminum van boxes, the wood is to protect the outer skin from damage by the load, some boxes use 1 x 4's for protection, and tie off points, I would mark the panels so they can be fit back into their original positions, cut rigid foam to fit between the framing and then secure it with low expansion great stuff aerosol foam along the edges of the uprights. use 3 or 4 original screw holes to locate the plywood and then make new holes with the self drill screws so they will not loosen up under road vibration. If you need additional or new screws Fastenal, MSC or the like will beat the big box stores for selection and price. finish the job with a coat of splatter paint like they used put in car trunks, it hides a lot of sins and is east to touch up.

Archived