The Fuse Monster Leaves no Trace!

KWT660HDT

Some Levity mixed with confusion:

So my truck has a 12V plug in the sleeper for a tv/microwave whatever.

I got a 300W inverter and plugged it in there and we've been using it every day for 6 weeks now for charging all of our iDoohickies and even a small dyson vaccuum. Never had any trouble.

Then we plug in a charger for a big canon camera battery and boom CECU power loss message flashes in the dash console...

No worries right? It's just a blade fuse 30 amp I figure. First I check the inverter it has a 40 amp fuse still intact so it has to be a truck fuse.

No problem, pop the fuse cover and look at the sleeper accessory fuse position.....there's no fuse! What the....

So i plug the inverter into another 12v plug and it works fine. Still doesn't work in the sleeper. Ok back to fuse box

I figure somehow by some miracle the fuse was ejected from it's slot when it blew so it's lying around somewhere...nope nothing anywhere....

What the....is going on. I Stick a new 30 amp fuse in there and the sleeper 12v plug works again

So I've got a fuse monster that eats blown fuses without leaving a trace or there's a more logical explanation for this??

Is this weird or what yikes

I don't know if there was a fuse in there to begin with so maybe just maybe the 12v plug was getting power another way? Ok then so I have a blown fuse somewhere else? Nope. Nothing

The fuse monster did it!

( ok, ok there has to be a more...logical explanation...but logic can be pretty boring no?)

2013 KW T660

485HP, 18 speed & locking tandems

2015 XLR 45' Toy-hauler

Prior Owner Did It ??

Just a WAG: prior owner blew the fuse, was on the road, did not have a replacement fuse handy, but did have a short piece of small wire . . .

and that little bit of wire got tired of the assigned task -- mostly 'vaporized' (or otherwise became small pieces).

X2

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

That's funny, I've thought the exact same thing before! But I'm thinking that you are on the wrong fuse slot and the actual one has a breaker or polyswitch in it? Is this the 12v plug in the TV tray? Or in the RH 'control' panel? Studio sleeper?

Yeah it's the tv tray in a studio sleeper . Seems to be the right slot (it works after putting a fuse there) and I'm pretty sure there's no fuse box in the sleeper

Edit - what's with the double thread i wonder...nothing intentional there. Weird. Just like the fuse monster!

In the second the idea of a parallel circuit is raised i'll have to double check that... Thanks

2013 KW T660

2015 XLR 45' Toy-hauler

At the LH front corner but under the sofa there will be an aluminum plate in the wall with four screws in a square pattern. Pull that plate off and you'll find a group of maxi fuses. There is a 20A one in there that runs the TV power port. I'm betting someone replaced it with a breaker and that breaker reset while you were finding a fuse and putting it in the PD box in the firewall. So your fuse in the PD box isn't doing anything but it was just coincidence that your breaker came back on by the time you plugged the inverter back into the socket. That's my theory anyways. The chassis node (CECU message) shouldn't be involved and could indicate a deeper problem but cross that bridge if it comes down to it.

Usually KW won't do a fuse panel in the sleeper but this one is only on studio sofabeds and is left over from the 74" modular days. You've got a monster sleeper and a couch to lounge on so it pretty much assumes you are going to fill all the space with igadgets and lounge around using them for more than the usual 10 hour night at a truckstop. So it kept the power panel. When you are in there you'll see a couple unused fuse blocks and some open aux pigtails. This is where you'd insert a fuse and pull power for any accessories you add to your sleeper.

Thanks Scrap. I have a studio sleeper but no sofa on this one

I'll pull the PD fuse I added and see if the plug works. That should help me figure out what's going on

We've been road tripping for almost two months and we'll be back home later today so I'll have more time to get to the bottom of this. hopefully I don't have the deeper problem you were referring to...

2013 KW T660

2015 XLR 45' Toy-hauler

Archived