Anyone think this would work?

Betting I am not the first to think of this,,but who knows....and feel free to point why it would/ wouldn't work!

Maybe it already exists and I just don't know any better :wacko:

Okay as I am dealing with issues with a brand new RV, and am currently staying put in an RV park, it occurred to me.....

How great it would be if RV manufacturers got on board with the idea of mobile warranty techs. For example, find an established mobile RV service with a good reputation, certify them to do warranty repair, and allow them to go to the customer rather than the customer having to uproot and go to a dealer just to have a minor (or even not so minor) issue addressed. You know, those things that only take an hour or three to fix once the parts are available.

I realize some things might require a dealer visit.....but....

It would certainly be a whole lot nicer to wait for parts, etc. in a campground than in the parking lot of a dealer.

Realistic? Ridiculous?

Thinking that would be a heck of a perk for a mfg. to offer...

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

That already exists. Some mobile RV repair business's will perform warranty work. They arrive, diagnose the problem, call the mfgr. for approval, then perform the work.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

If you are talking about warranties on appliances or other items that are not really warrantied by the RV manufacturer, then I agree with Ray and have actually had mobile techs do warranty work on the refridgerator in two different RVs. Some RV dealerships have a mobile service. When we bought our current trailer, the dealer gave all purchasers two nights at a nearby RV park to identify any kinks in the new RV. We were staying at another park nearby and they agreed to send their mobile tech to our location if we needed any warranty work.

Well seems I really didn't know any better! Glad to hear that possibility exists, so now I know to ask the mfg/dealer/whomever if I have a problem and not just assume it couldn't happen.

Ray, do you just call a mobile dealer and ask if they do warranty work? Or call mfg/dealer first?

Actually I think all dealers should provide a couple days to get the bugs out-save a lot of grief later.

Ray, do you just call a mobile dealer and ask if they do warranty work? Or call mfg/dealer first?

While I'm not Ray, my experience is the same as his and my answer is "yes." The vast majority of RV repair services are authorized to do warranty work on most major brand RV appliances. I very much prefer to use mobile techs as my experience is that the very best and most trustworthy of the group. That same thing is true of the rare, service only shops.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

...Ray, do you just call a mobile dealer and ask if they do warranty work? Or call mfg/dealer first?...

I am not Ray either, but in the case of an actual manufacturer warranty issue, I would call the manufacturer first as some are very reluctant to authorize repair at other than an authorized dealer and sometimes your selling dealership. If they will authorize other than your selling dealership to do the work, they may limit what they will pay for the repair and require you to pay any difference. There may also be the option of going to the factory for the repair.

I could not have presented better responses Kirk and trailertraveler, thanks for picking up the ball. I'm still trying to pay attention to these forums, but taking care of my wife is first and foremost.

tinstartrviir, to add some personal experience; I once did call the RV mfgr. and request a mobile repair service do the work. They requested that I have that mobile service phone them with the diagnostic report of the problem, (I had to pay that myself). Two days later the mobile service called me with the news that the repairs had been approved by the mfgr., gave me the approval #, and scheduled repairs. I had to pay the entire bill, then request re-reimbursement from the mfgr, which was paid in about two weeks.

After thinking about your question, I realized this is not your proposal.

As I now understand your proposal, the mfgr. would have a list of pre-approved mobile RV businesses to perform factory warranty work. That makes my initial reply incorrect. I don't think that is presently in place, as it would leave the mfgr, liable for outside businesses work, and as quickly as mobile RV repair businesses come and go, it would present an ongoing problem.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Ray, I am hoping that your wife is recovering well! Sending you our best thoughts and our prayers. :)

After thinking about your question, I realized this is not your proposal.

As I now understand your proposal, the mfgr. would have a list of pre-approved mobile RV businesses to perform factory warranty work. That makes my initial reply incorrect. I don't think that is presently in place, as it would leave the mfgr, liable for outside businesses work, and as quickly as mobile RV repair businesses come and go, it would present an ongoing problem.

What I'm wondering is, which manufacturers are we speaking of? If you mean appliance manufacturers, many mobile techs are "authorized dealers" for appliances and can do warranty work on them or sell you a replacement appliance. On the other hand, if you are thinking of the RV manufacturers, I don't know of any mobile RV techs (although there may be some) who are authorized to do warranty work on things which must be paid for by the RV builder. Things like body parts, cabinets & drawers, plumbing and electrical systems would usually require you to take the to a dealer who also sells the products of that particular RV manufacturer.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I guess I hadn't really thought the question through so it really is sort of a two parter.

Appliances and the like, probably not a problem if coordinated through the mfg of the item. As Kirk said, other things, probably not likely to have mobile service. So the answer I guess is to just ask. Anything is possible if everyone plays well together.

Very much appreciate the feedback.

A lot of mobile RV Repair Services do warranty work but be cautious. Our last experience was a nightmare. My slide would not retract and after several calls to the RV mfg. We were told that our slide was mfg. by LCI and that we needed to deal with them. The mobile service was able to get our slide back in so we could transport the 5th Wheel to their shop. We signed the repair order which contained wording that allowed the shop to place a lien on our unit if the were not paid within 60 days of submitting the billing to the mfg. This where it got real hairy for us. The mfg. and LCI got into a he said she said match leaving both us and the repair shop hanging out to dry. This is not about the quality of work or the repair charges. The repair shop did an unbelievable job repairing a defective slide and making sure the other 2 slides operated properly. It took numerous calls to both the mfg. and LCI to finally get the bill paid and the lien release issued. So be careful about choosing a mobile RV repair service, using my experience get an understanding upfront with all parties involved about who is responsible for payment and when the bill will be paid. We have a couple that we have traveled with that lost the use of their RV for 4 months waiting on repairs to be authorized and the bill to be paid.

You know you've arrive when the city limits sign says "Thackerville America"

Archived