Volvo Truck Drag Link Recall.....Model Years 2009-2010 & 2016

MrSeas

Yeah, I'm still pissed at Volvo for the supposed recall on my 2001 drag link. Valley Volvo claimed it didn't need it, and then 30,000 miles later (3 months in the trucking world), Volvo in Kansas claimed it was needed and didn't meet the recall requirements because of age!

While I'm sitting around after next week, I'm going to start a letter campaign to get some funds back that never should have been spent. I'm going to be a real PITA for someone out there. Just stating my rights. I'm going to do it in the nicest manor I can muster up, but I'm going to be shouting it from the rooftops! I'm just too nice some times. It might be time to go Trump on them :o . He certainly gets a lot of press!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Rocky,

Shop said my 2006 was not in recall. Is that correct?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

The originals drag link in the first recall that Rocky notes did not have a grease zerk.

When we bought our truck from CCTrucks they did all the other recalls (windshield motor) without question but they had not heard of the drag link recall. They (claim) they could not even verify it with Volvo NA in Greensboro. I had to print the NHTSA numbers and they finally verified it and ordered the part. The part took over a month to get but was replaced under the recall.

This is from that link in Rocky's post after opening all the "internal links"

It looks like during/after 2006 they used a larger ball non greaseable link and not it may be that that is also failing resulting in the recent recall. Interesting they say the new "significantly less". That seems to me that the problem was NOT fixed but reduced.

SUMMARY:

EA09-003 is closed with the submission of Volvo's recall 10V-282 recalling approximately 111,034 Model Year (MY) 1998 through 2005 VN and VNL class 8 trucks. Volvo announced recall 10V-282 in response to NHTSA's recall request letter dated June 3, 2010 (available at NHTSA's web site www.safercar.gov). NHTSA found that these vehicles were designed and manufactured with a TRW ball joint that does not meet the combined performance requirements and foreseeable inspection practices of the U.S. market. The ball joint in the steering system that connects the driver's side steering arm/knuckle to the drag link can fail resulting in a total loss of steering on the vehicle. Volvo changed the size and supplier of the ball joint used on these vehicles starting with the 2006 MY vehicles. The failure rates on the vehicles manufactured with the larger ball joint are significantly less than the subject vehicles. The closing of this investigation does not constitute a finding by ODI that no safety defect exists in the vehicles that are not included in Volvo's recall. ODI will continue to monitor the incidence of drag link failures in other MY Volvo trucks. Note: The recall request letter dated June 3, 2010 associated with this investigation describes 49 incidents of ball joint separation. After a comprehensive review of the data it was discovered that the number of separations that NHTSA was aware of was 41 with a failure rate of 36.9 R/100K. The 41 separations resulted in 23 crash allegations.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

Carl, better check it out here. Yours was in the same recall as mine.

Ok Rocky and Ray. Called dealer and Volvo trucks and I am not involved in the recall. Dealer said different link used on some trucks in 06. Thanks for the info.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

So they knew by your vin that you had a good one?

Volvo sent me the letter direct (I would imagine based on VIN) and still wasn't replaced. Did I just get a massed mailed letter?? You'd think they would narrow it down a bit based on what units received the bad link?

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

So they knew by your vin that you had a good one?

Volvo sent me the letter direct (I would imagine based on VIN) and still wasn't replaced. Did I just get a massed mailed letter?? You'd think they would narrow it down a bit based on what units received the bad link?

That's what the dealer said. My VIN wasn't involved.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I replaced mine back in 09 with the new one with grease fittings when I heard about the non-greasable links were suspect. I did receive a recall a year later. I wonder how we that replaced them would know if the new recall affects us?

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

I replaced mine back in 09 with the new one with grease fittings when I heard about the non-greasable links were suspect. I did receive a recall a year later. I wonder how we that replaced them would know if the new recall affects us?

I'd think because you replaced yours yourself with a greasable unit all would be OK. Looks like ALL the problems are with sealed joints (no zerk). Easy to see. If I had a non-greasable dragliink and got nowhere after several attempts with the dealer/manufactuer, I would just replaced it on my dime.

Seems I recall a few during the earlier recall where they actually came apart while driving down the highway. No accidents related but must have scared the bejeezes out of the driver.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

Archived