Side door toy hauler

Jeffd

Howdy!

I may not be understanding the question but your not going to find a RV more than 8' wide. I don't recall the name brand but there is a 5er that has a side that comes out you can load a large MC in then close the side.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Thx for quick response, I saw that Alfa gold with slider garage, great idea but those are out of our price range. With the five inch difference I was curious if anyone was packing a big bike and whether the bike could be parked at angle and fit or simply turn handlebars to make up the five inch difference.

Most likely you can fit it in 8' wide inside but you may need a larger width. Best thing to do is make two tape marks 8' apart then do two more perpendicular at 4' apart ( or simply use a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood) and try to fit the bike in that area without any overhang on the 8' dimension. Any over hang on the 4' side tells you how much larger space you need. Then decide how do you secure it.

The New Horizons looks good with the 2 ramp doors as backing a large bike down a ramp does not sound like fun.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

That's a great idea laying out template I can do that in my house garage, raptor has side door model with double ramp drive thru also, the Alfa model has a rolling chock with winch so you can raise lower in space, I could rig that also to back down ramps, thank you

the Alfa model has a rolling chock with winch so you can raise lower in space, I could rig that also to back down ramps, thank you

Lifestyle no longer makes the Alfa Golds. You may be able to find one on a dealer lot. Lifestyle now has the 395SHMC. Looks like the same floor plan, just not an "Alfa Gold".

It is not a rolling chock. It is a "Rampage Motorcycle Lift". And you'd probably have to remove or flip up the tour pak to close the roll up door. My GoldWing is about 2" too long. I just leave the door open when we're traveling.

BTW, my wife and I love our AG3905SHMC. We'll be very happy when it is ready after being at a dealer's for warranty repairs.

Jeffd, while my wife and I were looking at 5th wheel/toy haulers for my Honda VTX1300, we came across a 5th wheel by Grand Design, Momentum 376. It has the motorcycle garage in the back with the bedroom over the garage area. It's not as pricey as the Alfa but still has nice features. Hope this helps

What is the model of Open Range you're looking at, can't say I can place it in my recollection? I'd like to get your feedback on it after you look at it, and the Grand Design 376 if you get to look at it too. Always interested in another bike's viewpoints!

Heh, this is the one we are looking at:

Manufacturer:Open Range RV

Model Year:2011

Model:Rolling Thunder H345MPR

What caught our eye is the smaller garage (8x7) which should fit our ultra limited with tour pack off, I did lay out a box pattern with plywood as mock up and it looks like I would have to remove tour pack to load up each time but I'm retired and got the time and patience. It's all about compromise- I want the bike wife wants more living space which you lose in standard garage. I'll post how it went on Tuesday.

There are quite a few 102" wide toy haulers. The inside lateral dimension of our garage is 96 1/2". The biggest problem you may have is the low clearance of the Ultra Glide and the break over angle in getting from the ramp to the deck. I had that problem and had to brace my ramp up off the ground to reduce the break over angle and make a short transition ramp out of a 2x12 to get from the ground onto the ramp.

Mike & Joan
2006 Volvo 780
2008 KZ Escalade Sportster 41CKS
2001 Honda XR650R
2018 Kymco Spade 150

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that, best idea I have seen too, these have only been around a few years, we will have to wait until they fall into our price range used. In the meantime we bought a 2010 Raptor 400 RBG used at great price, wife loves the room inside for living space, I love the garage and so does the bike.

We haul a Honda VTX1300 on a swivel trailer mounted behind our fifth wheel. The trailer is made by Mastercraft of Katy, TX and there is another company, Idaho Tote that makes a similar trailer. The trailer is mounted to the camper frame and doesn't sway or pivot sideways and is considered a camper extension. I mounted the camper licenses plate on back of the swivel trailer. We have been full timing for 4 years now all over the US and it has been great for us. I get to bring the bike and the wife gets her full camper and I could drop the bike and trailer w/o changing the camper.

Greg

I have a 34' fifth wheel and with the 8' swivel trailer makes 61' total outfit with truck attached. I have been in Florida for the last 3 winters and up the East coast and never been stopped by a LEO. I met 2 other RV's while in Florida with the same set up and they also had no bad experiences to share. There is no way this could be considered a double tow any more than a mounted rear platform with a support wheel is a double tow. A double is mounted with a single pin, ball, or pinto hitch, and can sway or fishtail. I actually welded 2 horns to the end of the camper frame rails which bolt to the swivel trailer.

The trailer is mounted to the camper frame and doesn't sway or pivot sideways and is considered a camper extension.

Caveat emptor!

These Idaho Tote-style devices are considered a perfectly legal extension of the trailer in some jurisdictions, and an illegal, double-towed trailer in others. Check your own state/provincial laws on these devices prior to purchase.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Caveat emptor!

These Idaho Tote-style devices are considered a perfectly legal extension of the trailer in some jurisdictions, and an illegal, double-towed trailer in others. Check your own state/provincial laws on these devices prior to purchase.

Yep, they're considered a double tow in Fl, though I have heard of only 1 person being stopped/cited. Have seen plenty of snowbirds double towing with regular trailers and a few of the swivel wheels. IIRC, double towing is illegal on most of the east and west coast states. All depends on your risk tolerance.

Archived