Any Recommendations for Volvo ECM Parameters

Jim & Wilma

I'm taking our 2009 VNL730 into the Volvo Nextran shop Friday to get some ECM parameters corrected/changed. At a minimum, we need to remove the 65 mph governor and reconfigure the ABS for single axle. While we're at it, any recommendations for other parameters to check and/or possibly change?

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

A few things to consider might be.....what "shut down " alarms to have removed/changed, lots of warnings/alarms can shut you down in a hurry! Most fluid level warning can be modified to a "owner/operator" mode vrs a "paid driver" mode. Cruise control parameters, idle shut down, LED lighting, engine brake parameters, iShift modes of operation.

Scott

My favorite, which might be a Cummins engine setting, is the one that lets it remember the cruise control speed after you've shut off the engine. I usually cruise at the same speed--just a nice convenience. I also had the engine brake enabled if the cruise control is set and the engine brake is turned on. Makes long downgrades a lot easier.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Do not have them set a float on your cruise. Drives me nuts to speed up and slow down with every hill. Turn off ALL the auto shutdowns. Don't want to be stranded in the travel lane. It there is a feature you may want to add later, have it turned on now so you only have to add the switch or components. This may not work for everything. Decide what hp you want it set at and have them do it at the same time. Have them check if there is a calibration update. Great time for a dyno if you haven't had one done.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

My cruise only floats one way - faster - never slower then my set.

It will roll down a hill to a preset 'over' (10kph) then apply the engine brake.

At the bottom, power comes back on and holds the speed to where it was before the grade.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Low coolant shut down is one I would disable. It is very sensitive and can shut down at the most in-opertune time.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

Hey Jim

The one setting that I will change at the next opportunity is the low end cruise. Get it as low as possible. Going through small towns with 25-30 mph limits can easily be exceeded in a small town that needs some extra funding.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Appreciate all the suggestions - thanks.

Here's my summary so far:

· In general, configure as "owner/operator" mode vs "paid driver"

· Review/remove "shut down" alarms like low coolant and idle shut down

· Adjust cruise control 'range' – allow lowest speed possible

· Retain last cruise control speed after you've shut off the engine

· Adjust or disable lighting alarms to allow low current LED and Xenon lights

· Review engine brake parameters

· Review iShift modes of operation

Jim & Wilma

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

I had my speed governor shut off. (Back to default of 87 MPH)

I had the starting gear set to 3rd.

I like the Cruise control and the exhaust brake working together.

I would not turn off the low coolant shutdown (personal choice). It is easy to unplug the sensor if you want but I like knowing if something is going wrong. The last time it happened the top radiator hose clamp came loose and sprayed water on the plug. Locate it in advance and if you need to unplug it you know where it is and only takes 10 seconds to do.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Hey Jim

The one setting that I will change at the next opportunity is the low end cruise. Get it as low as possible. Going through small towns with 25-30 mph limits can easily be exceeded in a small town that needs some extra funding.

Thats a real good one!

Mine shuts off at 50 kph,little too soon.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Hey Jim

Not sure about Volvo but with Cummins the minimum is 30 mph. I believe the reason for this is safety. It may be ok is certain situations but in "small towns" I want to stay fully attentive and fully in control and aware of other drivers pulling out, traffic lights changing, sudden stops by others, etc.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

My Volvo with Detroit Series 60 has the bottom end of cruise at 20 mph for the very reason that Trey mentioned. It is a lot easier to stay very alert in small towns when you don't have to watch the speedometer.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Not sure about Volvo but with Cummins the minimum is 30 mph. I believe the reason for this is safety. It may be ok is certain situations but in "small towns" I want to stay fully attentive and fully in control and aware of other drivers pulling out, traffic lights changing, sudden stops by others, etc.

Ugh. I hate when people/companies hide behind claims of safety. If you want the truck to be safe, jack it up, remove the wheels/tires, lower it back to the ground. Meanwhile, back in reality, when driving through crazy little towns with 20/25/30mph speed limits and "prevalent" police forces, I'd argue that safety is improved if the truck will control your speed for you. Once set, you KNOW the speed is legal, and can focus your eyes out the windows, rather than becoming fixated on the speedometer.Yes, I'm sure you can "hear it" and control the RPM by sound, but on undulating roads this can be tricky and distracting. Letting Otto (automation) handle one aspect of vehicle control frees the driver to do other things; covering the brake pedal with the stop/go foot saves the time necessary to move the foot as well.

Took Ruby into Volvo Nextran today and got comm error fixed, several parameters changed and now waiting on Volvo tech support to send updated file for singling change. Cruise lower limit is now set to 18.9 mph, the lowest he could make it go. Biggest improvement is removal of the 65 mph speed limit, not that I want to drive faster, but it's a real PIA when trying to pass someone going 64.

Pleased with tech knowledge and attitude of everybody here. Came at good time too as first Friday of the month is birthday cake day!

Thanks everybody for the suggestions!

Jim & Wilma

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Ugh. I hate when people/companies hide behind claims of safety. If you want the truck to be safe, jack it up, remove the wheels/tires, lower it back to the ground. Meanwhile, back in reality, when driving through crazy little towns with 20/25/30mph speed limits and "prevalent" police forces, I'd argue that safety is improved if the truck will control your speed for you. Once set, you KNOW the speed is legal, and can focus your eyes out the windows, rather than becoming fixated on the speedometer.Yes, I'm sure you can "hear it" and control the RPM by sound, but on undulating roads this can be tricky and distracting. Letting Otto (automation) handle one aspect of vehicle control frees the driver to do other things; covering the brake pedal with the stop/go foot saves the time necessary to move the foot as well.

Not to turn this into a cruise debate but no one is "hiding behind claims of safety". If you research this you'll find, contrary to your belief, that is exactly why the manufactures limit low speed CC.

I know you are more attentive than the average driver and maybe even an expert on the subject but others tend to disagree.

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/news/motr/cruise-control-may-prevent-speeding-but-slow-reaction-times.html

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20130808-is-cruise-control-dangerous

http://fondation.vinci-autoroutes.com/fr/system/files/pdf/2013/07/pr_vinci_autoroutes_foundation_cruise_control_and_speed_limiters_impact_.pdf

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/2rvkf7/eli5_why_cant_you_set_cruise_control_on_a_vehicle/

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

When I had my 2001 Volvo I had the HP changed to be the same whether on Cruise or off.. Back then the HP was different...(Higher on cruise)

Cheers,

Bob

I wish I could have done that but for the Detroit Series 60, that was not an ECM option but a complete firmware change, a couple of hundred dollars.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Archived