Researching Used Fifth-Wheel

ktlobb11

Ok, Newbie here with my very first post, my wife and I are looking to buy our first 5th Wheel and will be living in it full-time. It will be mostly static for the first year located in north central Florida. We are looking used and have a target price range of 40-60k but would even like to be below that if at all possible but also willing to stretch higher for the right rig. So far I’ve been concentrating on DRVs but would like to hear your opinion on other units I should be looking at with the main points of high quality and full-time living. We are very partial to the rear living room because of the large back window; otherwise we are flexible and can take our time to find the right unit. Here’s the list of different 5vers I’m considering.

Top Choices

DRV Mobile or Elite Suites

New Horizons (Hard to find used and probably out of our price range for now)

Secondary Choices (In no particular order)

Teton

Newmar Mountain Aire/Kountry Aire

Heartland Landmark

Lifestyle (I’m a little confused by the different 5ver levels with Lifestyle)

Tow Vehicle will come later

Also I posted this under RV Types/Fifth-Wheel as opposed to the RVing Forums not sure if that was the correct spot so if that’s an error on my part please let me know.

Thanks for any and all feedback

Kevin

2019 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA (Moving in 4/29)
2020 Volvo 860 (Hopefully on the Production Line)
2016 Smart Prime Coupe “Phase One”

Thanks for the feedback I will take a look at both these videos when I get a chance, I have also contracted with a RV inspection company out of Orlando and I'm planning to have them inspect any RV I'm considering purchasing in Florida.

If your willing to travel to locate a fifth wheel consider NuWa's HitchHiker and the KC RV Center: Here's a link to their website and inventory.

http://www.kansasrvcenter.com/nuwa-inventory.aspx

If you want to research HitchHikers here's a link to the owners forum.

http://nuwaowners.org/

Also consider the Escapees Boot Camp to learn about RVs, the lifestyle, and meet and make friends with others in the same situation:

https://escapees.com/knowledge/boot-camp

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Also add Spacecraft to your list.

Be sure to check out New Horizons website and Space crafts website for Trade ins. New Horizons shows quite a few units in a lower price range.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Great Feedback

Big Greg,

Thanks for the links, I'm trying to buy from a private sale but I do have a short list of dealers and my top two are Rolling Retreats out of Ok. and Kansas RV, I go on both websites on a regular basis I also keep an eye on the inventory at "RVs for Less" but recently received a negative report on them. My issue long distance brings delivery cost into the equation as I won't have a TV for a while.

Star Dreamer,

I actually also have Space Craft on my Top list, I just didn't list them because they're even harder to find then New Horizons, I do check out both websites on a regular basis.

Daveh

I'll check out rv.org later tonight, It's just amazing at the information out there and what's available to help me in my decision, sometimes it becomes information overload.

Thanks for all the NuWa votes, I actually had them on my secondary list but somehow they dropped off, consider them back on.

I'm also going to be looking at a 2014 Heartland Bighorn, any thoughts?

Thanks to All

Kevin

How big a unit are you looking for? I do not see that in any of your post.

If you are willing to do a little paper work there are great deals here in Canada for you to take advantage of.

I have posted my Carrige Cameo 32 FWS on other forms for sale.

With a 30 to 40 % saving on exchange rate for US to Canadian dollars it is well worth a look.

That is what I did when I purchased this Cameo in Michigan back in 2010. Paper work is easy, saving are huge.

For example I am selling my Cameo for $45,000 Canadian or best offer of course. Thats approximatly $31,000 U.S after exchange at 30% exchange rate.

Kevin

I think Travel Supreme should be included as an option.

I would mostly agree that having a professional inspection done would be money well spent. However, I did that because I thought it would be cheaper than for me to travel from NY to TX to look myself. Inspector raved about the unit, told me it was solid with no water damage. I was very specific and told him how I wanted him to inspect slide floors. He found no problems. I flew down with plans to complete purchase and discovered two slides with serious water damage, mold issues, and mouse poop in many drawers etc, that he said was not there. Paid with PayPal and disputed inspection cost and lost because t h ey don't refund for services provided, only merchandise not received or defective.

Even if you hire an inspector, best to watch those videos, and look for yourself too.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

We are looking to be in the 36-40 foot length to answer the size question. I will certainly look at the Canada option but I also have to offset the delivery cost as I won't have a TV for a while and I'm in Florida so that could get a little expensive but could still be worth it.

Jim

I agree and appreciate the feedback, after talking to him for some time I feel pretty good with the inspector I'm using but I'm also learning more tips every day. I've look at the attached videos and am also going through that mode of a lot of research, any rig we are interested in will get a very good look over and I plan to be present if I can during the actual inspection when it happens. That's why I'm trying my best to find a unit in Florida. However if I go out of state I will then still find another inspection service I can use and would also consider flying out to be present during inspection. I don't want to buy site un-seen. My biggest fear is un-seen water damage.

Great Feedback, Thanks to All, Keep it Coming

Kevin

Archived