Need help with rv purchase issue

tinstartrvlr

Greetings all,

Hoping there is someone out there who is familiar with this issue and can enlighten me a bit.

I am a fulltimer and in Az for the winter, but leaving shortly.

I just purchased a new TT from a dealer. The dealer wanted to charge me over $1200 to register the TT. I told him I wanted to transfer the tag from my current TT and keep it registered in my home state, like I did with a truck I bought here late last year (a simple transfer process).

I am not a resident of Az and don't intend to become one; heading back to Fl later this year.

So the dealer was hesitant to use the MyRVmail address, and told me it is better to register the TT in AZ and then transfer it later. He said he could give me a 90 day temp tag but that doing it the way I want will take months and be a major headache.

I fear registering it in Az first would technically make me a resident, along with being subject to a value tax.

Am I missing something here?

Help!

Thanks

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

Nope... but the dealer is. ;)

I'd tale the temp plate and register it in your state of domicile. Not sure what game the salesman is playing, but it isn't in your best interest.

Exactly! Take the 90 day temp tag and run. The game being... the dealer will loose out on his portion of the exorbitant registration fee.

Thanks Kirk,

Hate to think dealer is up to no good. But it does stink.

However, from what I could tell reading Az state statutes, TT's over a certain size have some special classification, I think perhaps considered mobile home, and therefore registered/taxed/assessed in some strange way. I couldn't make sense of it and I'm pretty good at reading legalese. Hope this doesn't turn out to be a hard lesson of some sort!

Thanks again.

Hi Yarome,

Didn't realize dealers got a cut of the registration fee, (thought that was a dmv set fee) which I know for a newer anything is extremely high in Az, but I'm not a resident so I assumed it didn't apply.

Thanks for chiming in...more to think about.

When we purchased a new tow vehicle (Ford F550) back in 2001 we had them give us 90 day temp tags as we were going to register in Oregon. To avoid AZ sales tax we had to take delivery of the truck outside of Arizona. The dealer hired a driver to drive the truck back to New Mexico, we signed papers with a Notary present and I drove back to Arizona. I did not want to pay sales tax because Oregon does not have a sales tax.

I thought they delivered trailers the same way if one did not want to pay Arizona sales tax.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Didn't realize dealers got a cut of the registration fee.

Not a cut of the registration fee itself.. rather the additional "processing/filing" fee, on top of the DMV fees/taxes, that most dealers charge for handling the paperwork for you. Even if you 'were' to register in AZ it would, more than likely, save you money to do the filing yourself.

Greetings all,

Hoping there is someone out there who is familiar with this issue and can enlighten me a bit.

I am a fulltimer and in Az for the winter, but leaving shortly.

I just purchased a new TT from a dealer. The dealer wanted to charge me over $1200 to register the TT. I told him I wanted to transfer the tag from my current TT and keep it registered in my home state, like I did with a truck I bought here late last year (a simple transfer process).

I am not a resident of Az and don't intend to become one; heading back to Fl later this year.

So the dealer was hesitant to use the MyRVmail address, and told me it is better to register the TT in AZ and then transfer it later. He said he could give me a 90 day temp tag but that doing it the way I want will take months and be a major headache.

I fear registering it in Az first would technically make me a resident, along with being subject to a value tax.

Help!

Thanks

there is zero point in registering the trailer in AZ but if you did it costs Noncommercial trailers with a declared gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 10,000 lbs or less (one-time $125 registration fee,

When we purchased a new tow vehicle (Ford F550) back in 2001 we had them give us 90 day temp tags as we were going to register in Oregon. To avoid AZ sales tax we had to take delivery of the truck outside of Arizona. The dealer hired a driver to drive the truck back to New Mexico, we signed papers with a Notary present and I drove back to Arizona. I did not want to pay sales tax because Oregon does not have a sales tax.

I thought they delivered trailers the same way if one did not want to pay Arizona sales tax.

Lenp

We did that for a California purchase but the deal we signed said the motorhome had to stay out of California for the next 90 days. Our temporary permit was only good for 30 days but the dealer sat on the paperwork until we had to file for an extension.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

They do, and the salesman...or at least the manager...should know how to handle an out-of-state sale. When we were still fulltimers, we bought a fifth wheel while in Arizona for the winter and had to have it delivered to Blythe, CA where we appeared in front of a notary to take delivery. Arizona doesn't have any "stay out of the state for "X" period of time before you can return" law like California does.

When we bought the Class C in my signature, we were also in Arizona for the winter. However, we were no longer fulltimers and were living in Washington State. We paid the Arizona sales tax and then paid the remainder to Washington when we registered there, so we didn't have to go through the out-of-state delivery rigmarole.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I know of several people whom have purchased MH in California from dealers and took delivery out of state in quartzite az and drove back to California the next day

with zero problems. All of these people have out of state plates on previous units that they use.none of them encountered this 90 day rule nor did the dealer indicate it was required

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Amazingly, I was able to get through to the AZ DMV and according to the customer service rep, a TT is no different than a car; I get a 90 day non resident paper tag and register it in my home state. I still have to pay AZ sales tax, but Florida is a reciprocal state and only requires tax if there is a deficiency, then I make up the difference.

Always such great feedback on this site!

I know of several people whom have purchased MH in California from dealers and took delivery out of state in quartzite az and drove back to California the next day

with zero problems. All of these people have out of state plates on previous units that they use.none of them encountered this 90 day rule nor did the dealer indicate it was required

The following is off-topic, and doesn't answer the OP's question in re AZ..............however -

The above is incorrect or incomplete information -or- the "several people you know" are/were not CA residents, or you misunderstood what they told you. (ie; they paid the CA sales tax)

The "90 day rule" (which is one year now) applies to CA residents who purchase an RV, vessel, or aircraft for *use* out-of state during the first 12 months of ownership.

At one time an exemption could be made to return the vehicle to CA for scheduled service and/or repairs during the 12 month period. Documentation required.

To legally avoid paying sales tax, the CA resident must:

If the dealer is inside CA, the purchaser must take delivery outside CA.

Keep it outside of CA for 12 months.

Provide acceptable documentation (receipts, etc.) to the CA State Board of Equalization that the vehicle was "used" (not simply stored) out of state. (It must be approved by the CA BOE before the CA DMV will register the vehicle)

The foregoing was the required procedure when the time out-of-state was 90 days, as well as the current one year.

The information can be found here - https://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/faq12mo.htm

I still have to pay AZ sales tax, but Florida is a reciprocal state and only requires tax if there is a deficiency, then I make up the difference.

If Florida's sales tax is more than Arizona's, then that's certainly the way to do it (like we did when we bought our current RV). That saves the hassle of taking out-of-state delivery! However, if Florida's sales tax is less than Arizona's, I'd go through the hassle of taking out-of-state delivery in order to avoid paying Arizona's sales tax.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

The following is off-topic, and doesn't answer the OP's question in re AZ..............however -

The above is incorrect or incomplete information -or- the "several people you know" are/were not CA residents, or you misunderstood what they told you. (ie; they paid the CA sales tax)

The "90 day rule" (which is one year now) applies to CA residents who purchase an RV, vessel, or aircraft for *use* out-of state during the first 12 months of ownership.

At one time an exemption could be made to return the vehicle to CA for scheduled service and/or repairs during the 12 month period. Documentation required.

To legally avoid paying sales tax, the CA resident must:

If the dealer is inside CA, the purchaser must take delivery outside CA.

Keep it outside of CA for 12 months.

Provide acceptable documentation (receipts, etc.) to the CA State Board of Equalization that the vehicle was "used" (not simply stored) out of state. (It must be approved by the CA BOE before the CA DMV will register the vehicle)

The foregoing was the required procedure when the time out-of-state was 90 days, as well as the current one year.

The information can be found here - https://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/faq12mo.htm

Pappy yoke you best read what I posted before saying such things as I clearly indicated 1) they took delivery out of state and 2) they had out of state plates they transfered over from other states their registered in

I assumed people would have understood they (buyers)were not registered as residents of ca Sorry for any confusion and I never misunderstood what any of them told me they took delivery out of state they put their south Dakoda plates on it or iowa or montana and drove back to the desert the next day or so and NO they did not pay ca sales tax

If Florida's sales tax is more than Arizona's, then that's certainly the way to do it (like we did when we bought our current RV). That saves the hassle of taking out-of-state delivery! However, if Florida's sales tax is less than Arizona's, I'd go through the hassle of taking out-of-state delivery in order to avoid paying Arizona's sales tax.

Fortunately (I guess!) I had a trade in so I only had to pay tax on the difference. For only a few hundred dollars I decided to avoid trying to deliver it out of state. Definitely a good idea for a cash buyer since tax in Az in insane!

Fortunately (I guess!) I had a trade in so I only had to pay tax on the difference. For only a few hundred dollars I decided to avoid trying to deliver it out of state. Definitely a good idea for a cash buyer since tax in Az in insane!

AZ's sales tax is 5.6% while FL's is 6% (Both plus local adders)

Archived