Anyone use Stabilizer Jacks?

Kevin H

Anyone ever used stabilizer jacks for long term parking? I have the Lippert Level-up system with 6 legs. It is great for a few days but it tends to collapse after a while. We stay put multi-months so would like as stable as possible.

I am looking at these by Husky.

41tqbwRsRSL._SY450_.jpg

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

I would be looking for the oil leak 1st and if not feasable to fix then go with regular RV scissor jacks

This is a common issue with the Level-up system. Lippert says to add hydraulic additive. Did that, no fix. Plan B...

Lippert doesnt have a clue about hydraulics ! Putting in additives solves nothing. Find a good hydraulic repair shop that actually builds hyd rams to specs. Sweco Manufacturing in Sutter CA is one. Hyd fluid is leaking past a valve or past the packing in the cylinder.

I would weld four good scissor jacks under the frame and then use your leveling system to set up and then run scissors to the ground to help hold the weight and when ready to leave take the weight off the scissors lift them up and then pick up hydraulics.

I take it Lippert hydraulics is the same as their axles...CHEAP

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

I'm inclined to agree with you, Jim. I certainly do not know much about hydraulics and am beginning to question Lippert's expertise. There is a marked difference between other brands' smooth, shiny, chrome finish and Level-up's matte (read: rough) surface. Seems the matte surface would be a prime opportunity for leakage and/or poor seal. Having said that, there is absolutely no evidence of leaking on the exterior. Don't have a clue what is going on in the interior.

I did scratch my head when the Lippert CS person advised, and then I read it on their site, to add the hydraulic additive.

Here's a question of those in the know hydraulically: Should a leg remain in position for extended periods? (no pun intended, but it does work:)) I have read others say they must relevel or recommend releveling somewhat frequently.

Regarding adding scissor jacks to the frame: The ones I constantly see are below the frame line when retracted. The result is reduced ground clearance and a prime drag/damage opportunity, especially for longer trailers. That is why I am interested in the portables noted above.

As to axles. I have Dexter and am quite happy. Can't wait to get my disc brakes tho!

Thanks for your input. Appreciated as always.

If you chose to go with mechanical jacks, I have used these jacks from Camco both before we had leveling jacks and also with our present, small travel trailer. I like these better than those you showed because these will nest for storage and are of aluminum alloy and so weight less than steel ones.

31ZCU3ddOkL._AA160_.jpg

Here's a question of those in the know hydraulically: Should a leg remain in position for extended periods?

When we were full-time, our motorhome had hydraulic leveling jacks from Big Foot and we used to sit for anywhere from 1 to 4 months at a time and on the jacks the entire time. I never had to adjust the leveling at all if we were parked on pavement, occasionally we would when on gravel or dirt pads. I have no experience with other brands of jacks.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks, Kirk. I looked at those but was not sure about their strength. My trailer is in the 14k area. I am thinking six jacks to match my six Level-up legs. That means about 2400 pounds per leg (not taking sprung weight into consideration) With your direct knowledge, do you think your style will work for my weight?

BTW - I considered yanking out the Lipperts and going with Big Foot but cannot justify the cost. And, would I need to install six legs? Not because 4 Big Foots (Big Feet???) couldn't support the weight, but rather, is my frame so flexible it requires 6? I've questioned the need for 6 but hey, I got what I got.

My experience from running equipment with hyd rams after a lot of use the packing in the rams will start bypassing fluid slowly thus letting a ram move. A ram on a motor home should last forever. A good hydraulic repair place can build you a new ram that will have identical specs. But built better and about 1/2 the price of OE

Those stabilizer jacks are made for stabilizing nor for lifting your rig off the ground. If you want to level you will need blocks under the tires. Those screw jacks wont begin to lift your rig.

Jim Spence

This is a common issue with the Level-up system. Lippert says to add hydraulic additive. Did that, no fix. Plan B...

We have been using our Lippert 6 point system full time for almost 6 years and are set up long periods of time sometimes. Have NEVER had a problem with leaks and it works flawlessly.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

My experience from running equipment with hyd rams after a lot of use the packing in the rams will start bypassing fluid slowly thus letting a ram move. A ram on a motor home should last forever. A good hydraulic repair place can build you a new ram that will have identical specs. But built better and about 1/2 the price of OE

Those stabilizer jacks are made for stabilizing nor for lifting your rig off the ground. If you want to level you will need blocks under the tires. Those screw jacks wont begin to lift your rig.

I'll keep rebuild in mind for the future. Good info. I may have been unclear in what I want to do. These will be just for stabilization. The only lifting will be hydraulically.

We have been using our Lippert 6 point system full time for almost 6 years and are set up long periods of time sometimes. Have NEVER had a problem with leaks and it works flawlessly.

Cool! Glad yours are working. I have no idea the percentage of those with issues but it was enough for Lippert to research and post a fix.

I gotta say, if going outside and pushing a couple buttons is an issue for me, things are overall pretty darn good!! Right???

We have been set up for 2 1/2 months with no settling. There is a cap screw in the side at the top. You need an Allen wrench to remove it. There is an o ring on it. It needs replaced. Do not have weight on the jack when you remove it.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

The additive "fix" is supposed to stop the cylinders from popping when you have a drastic outdoor temperature change. Nothing to do with leaks.

Exactly right.

Our Lippert system would bleed a bit, just enough to lean to the drivers side, that re-leveling would be needed after a couple weeks. This disappeared after about a year, so I'm leaning toward a bit of grit stuck inside the system that eventually flushed itself out There isn't any provision for filtration on the hydraulic system, other than the holding tank, which isn't common in any other industry, but RV's. If the issue returns, I may re-do the system and include some filtration.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

We have an Open Range which uses electric screw jacks for "auto-leveling". We do put light weight screw jack stabilizers under the two main slide whenever we extend the slides. Slides are cantilevered fairly far and using the stabilizers prevents damage/fraying of the cable system that opens and closes the slides.

Reed and Elaine

My theory is that if the levelers are not maintaining their position then pressure is letting go. That spells leak to me regardless of the location or cause. I agree the additive was in response to the popping. BUT, the popping is the system settling. It is not just random noise and you can feel a bump when it occurs.

Lippert knows of the issue (flaw in my book) and has put out information to supposedly fix it. In my case, it did not. BTW - I removed all the original fluid and replaced with new plus the recommended Caterpillar additive. The popping is much less frequent so I'll give Lippert a partial pass on that. But it still happens occasionally and my levelers continue to settle after a few weeks with no visible leaks. That is the reason for my original post. The system initially levels very well. I am looking for stability for long stays.

Thanks to all who responded.

Most of the scissor style jacks are very limited in weight capacity, we bent one of ours to scrap when we had it down and a tire leaked.

Using under frame jacks like the first one in the topic or the one Kirk mentioned will work, but with a couple cautions.

Make sure they are rated for the weight they may be called on to support.

Put a good sized block under them so that they don't damage asphalt or sink into a dirt surface, particularly if it gets wet.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

We have the lippert 6 point leveling system. We stay set up in Florida for 6 months they do not budge they do not lose level.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Think more in the line of an axle support jack (tractor Supply ) sells them and they have a lip on the top for grabbing the frame if they should slip. The Cheapy ones just have the round tab that will slip on the slightest angle.

Jim Spence

Adding a certain kind of fluid was to reduce the popping sound not leaks. A small leak can be were it can not be seen. This is the third winter of 6 months of lippert 6 point jacks down in Florida...not a problem with level in fact not a problem of any kind during that time.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Archived