Dutch Star questions

Kiltedpig

On our 2004 we had Spartan/Cummins and were very satisfied with it. Sorry I can't help with the other. It was a 40' with 370hp and we were in the western mountains all the time. Nowadays, that's considered a baby but it did the job for us.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

There were some years that Newmar used different chassis for some models, Freightliner lower end and Spartan on the higher end. If memory serves, there were also years that the Dutch Star had a standard model on the Freightliner with Spartan as an option at a higher price. But I'm reaching now so am not positive that is accurate. I do know that friends who bought a Dutch Star in 98 of 99 had one on a Spartan chassis and when they upgraded about 2010 or so the insisted it be on Spartan.

Looking at the Newmar website, it seems that currently the Mountain Aire has the Freightliner with Spartan as an option. as do the London Aire, and Essex, with the King Aire coming on the Spartan only.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If you are looking at a MH from about 2004 and up and it has a Cat engine that is the C13 or C15 walk away and look for something else. Lots of problems. The 2007 and up are almost not usable with the Cat engine. Cat stopped selling engines for MH's in about 08. Emmision problems that are not fixable. I didn't know that Newmar used Cat power in the Dutch Star.

Moisheh

In the 200x's Newmar optioned the Spartans higher end than the Freightliners, so you got a bigger engine and a bit better suspension. In those years the Spartan used a Cummins ISL engine and the Freightliner used a smaller Cat engine, about C7 size. The differences were evident when in the mountains, but there are many happy owners with those old Freightliner chassis and Cat engines. (We have a Spartan/Cummins). The last few years the Dutch Stars have been on more upgraded Freightliner chassis with side radiators and a Cummins engine. Friends who owned a 2004 Dutch Star on a Spartan chassis now have a 2012 Dutch Star on a Freightliner chassis and are happy with it.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Our 2000 Dutch Star is on a Spartan chassis w/Cummins ISC. Except for the problem Spartan had with the ball joint boots rotting away on the early 2000 models, we've been very happy with ours after 5 1/2 yrs. of full timing. If doing it again I would definitely want a Cummins & a Spartan chassis. I'm not sure but I believe that the Spartan came with a side radiator, and Freightliner did not???????

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

If you are looking at a MH from about 2004 and up and it has a Cat engine that is the C13 or C15 walk away and look for something else. Lots of problems. The 2007 and up are almost not usable with the Cat engine. Cat stopped selling engines for MH's in about 08. Emmision problems that are not fixable. I didn't know that Newmar used Cat power in the Dutch Star.

Moisheh

I seriously doubt there is a dutch star alive that ever came with a C13 let alone a C15 engine . there are not very many MH period that came with a C15 engine

just the upper end units had these and there fairly rare like a magna country coach etc

Archived