Adding a external LP to your class A rig

proxima

I am not too familiar on with the propane system in a RV but I am wiling to learn. I ended up with a extra 40lbs bottle and I want to add it to my RV. I am not familiar with the connectors or what I should use. I have a couple of pics of possible connection points. When I tried to remove the connector that goes into the main tank, it appears the regulator does not move, but I could be wrong. I do not see an attachment point other than the cover for the regulator. I also found a T, but I am not sure if I can attach a hose to it.

Valve

kJYfspv.jpg

T

SdQZFat.jpg

You might glean the information you need from the discussion linked below :

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=120335&hl=regulator#entry806955

I did what you are asking about and described that there ^ .

The cap on your pictured T looks to be capping a flair fitting , which would make for an easy connection .

Goes around , comes around .

You might glean the information you need from the discussion linked below :

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=120335&hl=regulator#entry806955

I did what you are asking about and described that there ^ .

The cap on your pictured T looks to be capping a flair fitting , which would make for an easy connection .

That fitting on the Tee is a capped flared fitting. It wouldn't be advisable to tie in here, as it's on the low pressure side of the propane system. A second regulator would be needed on the portable tank to prevent damage to propane appliances on-board.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

From the linked thread :

This is our set up :

HPIM1991_zps3f8swhy1.jpg

I tapped into the gas line after the main tank . You can see the shut off for the added tank . This set up allows us to run either tank separately or both together . Each tank is regulated .

We normally run only the added tank and use the main tank as a backup . It's a lot easier to have the small tank filled . ;)"

That^ set up has worked perfectly since installation , without incident .

We have the Extend-A-Stay linked above, and it works perfectly for us. When using the external tank, we keep the internal tank turned off until the external runs out. Then we turn on the internal tank valve and unhook the external tank to get it refilled. The deluxe Extend-A-Stay version also includes a hose that can be hooked up to another port to run a grill, gas light, etc., in place of a small disposable cylinder.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• 3 weeks later...

From the linked thread :

This is our set up :

HPIM1991_zps3f8swhy1.jpg

I tapped into the gas line after the main tank . You can see the shut off for the added tank . This set up allows us to run either tank separately or both together . Each tank is regulated .

We normally run only the added tank and use the main tank as a backup . It's a lot easier to have the small tank filled . ;)"

That^ set up has worked perfectly since installation , without incident .

When you disconnect your bottle for travel or whatever, you should consider putting a cap/plug on the open hose. Ball valves are known to leak or a slight bump to the handle could be disastrous.

Greg

When you disconnect your bottle for travel or whatever, you should consider putting a cap/plug on the open hose. Ball valves are known to leak or a slight bump to the handle could be disastrous.

Greg

The hose , with the regulator permanently attached , stays connected to the valve . AFAIK , every regulator has back flow prevention . That would mean double protection , which was the idea behind installing the valve .

The bottle rides where it's shown . It's wedged in there enough that It takes a fair effort to remove it for refilling . With the bay door closed , It can go no where .

I do appreciate your concern and if anyone sees a potential problem with our set up , PLEASE advise us .

Archived