TST 507 TPMS.....A Review

rbertalotto

I ordered a 4 channel/tire Truck System Technologies 507 TPMS tire pressure monitoring system from www.TechnoRV.com . Great price, free shipping and I had it in two days!

PACKAGING:

Nicely done with lots of extra O rings for when you need to change the batteries in the tire sensors in a year or so.

A cigarette lighter cord and a hard wired cord is included.

A dash board mount and a suction cup window mount is included

Three different installation instructions are included. Seems they kept writing instructions to make it easier. The single sheet that looks like the last iteration was the easiest to follow, along with the TST YouTube video. TechnoRV also has a video on their web site to aid in programming.

SET UP / PROGRAMMING:

I suggest you view the number of YouTube videos available (Google Search) before you do anything. The programming is a bit confusing as it uses a relative few buttons to do multiple functions. If you go slow and be deliberate, it is quite easy. If you can't figure it out, this is why God invented 12 year old grand children!

OPERATION:

I only installed it on my pick up truck. I'll order sensors for the trailer once I'm sure it is accurate and robust enough.

Sensors were programmed and installed on the four tires. I did not replace the rubber valve stems with steel as suggested by others. Reports from others is that the sensors are so light they do not add stress to the valve stems. I agree. Time will tell.

The kit is available with standard (you must remove to add air) and "Flow Through sensors that you can add air without removing the sensor. I went with the NON-Flow Through sensors. I'll have to remove them to add air if needed. Time will tell if this was a good decision. But on my truck the valve stems are about 90 degrees perpendicular to the tire and I had concerns that the longer "Flow Through" sensors might get damaged on curbs or when I take the truck on rough roads.

The system came up and started to send PSI and TEMP immediatly. To test it, I lowered the air pressure and raised it with my compressor and in both cases the reported PSI was extremely accurate and the alarm sounded at low and high PSI parameters I set. The temperature is reading the exact same from each tire (37 degrees in their static state)

The interesting thing is the monitor is sitting here in my office, some 100' from the truck, through a number of walls and an aluminum garage door and it is reading fine. This leads me to believe that it will easily work on a relatively long trailer tow vehicle combination.....If not, an amplifier/repeater is available to boost the signal from the trailer.

All in all I'm very impressed with the quality of construction and performance. The monitor has the feel of a well built cell phone. Nice glass or heavy plastic screen, I can't tell which. Brass antenna connections. Very secure power cord plug/jack.

The tire sensors include anti-theft collars that I chose not to use. Maybe I trust folks too much. We'll see

You can read all about it here:

Hope this helps if someone is thinking about getting a TPMS

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

Roy,

We have the TST 507 with flow thru sensors and love it. It was amazing how easy it was to install and set up.

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/?m=1

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

GOD Bless All of our Troops!

"CHARACTER is doing the right thing when no one is looking"

'09 International Durastar 4400 LP Customized by 2L Custom Trucks

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

1221594356_ProfilePic.jpg.9b4d57a43f182efadbcaf4db7556bb2e.jpg

Have the TST with the flow through. Only installed on the toad so far for a number ofreasons:

1) The sensors screw-on bushings were too long so at TST's direction I had to cut them in half to get a good seal. This trimming in turn caused the following problems:

1) If done too quickly, the brash bushing will heat up enough to melt the housing and destroys the sensor. Even being careful, this has happened twice.

2) The shorter bushing and hence no locking screw allows the sensor to spin off which has happened to me twice.

2) The sensors are not accurate and per the manual can vary a good deal. There is also the temp variance. With these two variables in play, the chances of FREQUENT false alarms are quite high and as a result encourage disabling the system. Not acceptable. As a direct result I've kept them off the RV tires and have resorted to often regular road checks.

I'm with you on how they stick out. I'm pretty sure the loss of one sensor was due to a close rock on a back trail.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

I've had my 507 system on for about 4 years, and I've been very pleased with it. I run the display on battery only and it still is going strong, I can get a few long days towing before I need to recharge. I've done enough battery swaps that I'm actually out of oring now, this thread reminded me I need to order some more!

I did find that I needed to add the repeater in between on my 32 ft fifth wheel. The rear passenger tire just wasn't getting reliable enough connection (I would test the signal by removing the sensor and listening for the beeping of the pressure drop alarm). Also, I used the anti theft sleeves at first, but stopped after a while because it was a pain to remove them to fill up the tires with air. Also, I figure the reduced weight would ever so slightly reduce the potential wear on the rubber valve stems.

I have the 510 system (non replaceable batteries). I have a repeater and 12 sensors. I have no drop outs with the repeater and the tires come in within 5 minutes of the system being turned on.

I do not recommend the anti-theft devices unless you HAVE to have them. They make everything harder.

The pressures reported by the sensors vary +/- 3 psi over a a calibrated pressure gauge. No big deal. Set your alarm thresholds to account for cold weather and that variation in pressure.

IMO anything but the smallest RV will need a repeater for RELIABLE reception of the signals.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We're about to send our 12 510's back to TST for a battery replacement. (They're pretty beat up, many have lost their black casings.) They've served us well, and like any item with the mentioned variable range of spec - you learn their unique character by usage. Yes to the repeater on mid size on up, and yes to setting the low/high based upon parameters that will not be sending you false warnings, but still help you avoid problems.

I've four different temperature methods for outside o the coach, and they are of course all different from each other:)!

1) Indoor/outdoor temperature sensors, with the outdoor taped up into the propane bay. (Off about 4-5 degrees, based upon the heat from the coach.)

2) Toad has a temperature readout, and it is within 2-3 degrees of being accurate overnight and or when parked under the shade.

3) TST Tire Temp Sensors. (I've found the front driver wheel to be the closest to accuracy, at about 2-3 degrees off. Very close to the Toads reading. And of course, only accurate when the tire is not baking in the sun.

4) A stand alone temperature gauge, that we mount in the shade when parked. This is pretty accurate, at + or - 1 degree. And works real well, when I remember to take it with us when departing:)! (Have been lucky enough to have had a Ranger pick up the phone when I called, and he went and found it and mailed it to my home. Even paid for shipping, and said not to worry about it:)!

So while I do use the TST temp sensors, it is not the only item I use:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

We have the TT 510.Had the pressure pro before that for several year's and it served us well. We have over 3 K road miles on the

TST 510 with no issues .We have not yet had a issue with receiving a signal and do not have a repeater but will get one if needed The truck and rog is not short by any means.

Set up is straight forward and easy. We set the PSI using the TST as the gauge.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy,

Thanks for the review. Just one question:

To test it, I lowered the air pressure and raised it with my compressor and in both cases the reported PSI was extremely accurate and the alarm sounded at low and high PSI parameters I set.

Err... how did you test that, with your sensors being non-flowthrough, as you reported? Did you unscrew/rescrew them during the testing? Wouldn't that compromise the test?

Not trying to be a smart alec, just trying to learn...

Cheers,

--

Vall.

Getting ready to join the RV full-time lifestyle in 2017!

Taking a sensor on and off to adjust the tire pressure is little different than using a standard tire pressure gauge for testing. The sensor powers down when removed, and turns on again when reinstalled, giving the current reading. If that reading is outside of the set alarm parameters, the alarm sounds and the red LED and display for that tire flash. Screwing the sensor on slowly, allowing air to leak around it for too long, could skew the test though, just as not fully seating a manual gauge will give you an incorrect reading.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Great write-up, Roy.

One minor point I would add (running a 507 w/flow through)... the flow through sensors are a 'little' restrictive when adding air. It's not that big of an issue when you're using an air station with a constant pressure supply, but with my little 3.5gal Porter-Cable pancake the pressure tends to equalize about 7-10psi above the actual tire pressure.

I don't know if I'm explaining that right... but, KWIM? Tire is actually at 65psi and the compressor is delivering 75, but no air is being added. It's not that big of a deal but does require more compressor cycling with a small portable.

Archived